Multiple relationships between two tables

PietC

Hello all. I have a staff list with unique IDs. Each staff member can be a team member, a team leader or a supervisor. To make it slightly more complicated, an individual can be a member of one team and a leader for another – but let’s park that for now.
</SPAN>
I need to produce a team sheet showing the team name, its members, leader and supervisor (and their details). Previously I’ve used an “allocation” table and copious VLookup formulas to derive the information I need, but I’d now like to use the Excel 2013 data model (no powerpivot as I don’t have the right edition).</SPAN>

I now have two tables: tblStaffList and tblAllocation. My allocation table has 4 columns: team name, members, leader and supervisor. Apart from the first column, the contents are all staff IDs. However, as any two tables can only have one active relationships between them, I can only link either members or leaders or supervisors, but not all three.
</SPAN>
Can anyone please suggest a practical approach? </SPAN>
Many thanks. Piet</SPAN>

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
OK - I've found a quick-and-dirty solution by simply copying tblStaffList twice, as tblStaffList02 and tblStaffList03 respectively, once each for team leaders and supervisors, then creating the necessary relationships with these copies. This works, but it seems a bit clunky! Is there a more elegant method?

Piet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back