Mystery Autofit - widths automatically adjusting

9tanstaafl9

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a workbook before, where the column widths adjusted themselves automatically whenever the value in a column got large enough that it required an adjustment to avoid seeing #######.

And when I say automatically, I don't mean that the column was adjusted during the intentional running of a macro. It's possible there was something going on automatically that I didn't know about, but no buttons were being pushed.

Of course, I could be getting senile and I'm just remembering something that didn't happen. It's also possible that this is just a setting I'm unaware of since I've been using Excel for so long that I missed it when a new feature popped up.

If you happen to know if this is possible, or impossible, could you please tell me. If possible tell me how. Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
This seems familiar to me too, but I can't figure it out right now.
The best solution I can find is to select the whole sheet (ctrl+A, or click in the upper left above the first row, and to the left of the first column) and select Home >> Cells >> Format >> Auto Fit Column Width

Upvote 0
Thanks, that would be great if the sheet was for me, but I'm giving it to newbies who couldn't handle that. I can make a macro to do it, I just thought it would be nice if they didn't have to click a button.

Upvote 0
What you need to have is a macro that autofits the columns in the Changed rangs and put it into the worksheet_change event so whenever someone changes anything in the sheet it updates the columns affected. I don't know the syntax off the top of my head and I'm on my phone so I can't look it up, but I should be able to figure it out later.

Hope that points you in the right direction!

-Ray

Upvote 0
Thank you! That's might be what I needed. I didn't think of the worksheet_change event. That's not something I'm familiar with. I found this online:
Code:
<code>Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    ActiveSheet.Columns.AutoFit
End Sub</code>

That might work, but I'm not sure. I need to connect to their data to find out. My issue is that the worksheet only changes when queries on OTHER sheets get updated. So I'm not sure if this will actually qualify as a change event. They aren't required to actually click anywhere on this sheet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I spoke too soon. That does not work. It only autofits the column that I double click in. I need something that fixes all the columns. I'm a little confused as to why this code doesn't do that. Also, it won't work on a protected sheet.

No worries, I'll just add a button. I thought I'd ask in case this was a simple thing to do that I was simply unaware of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Worksheet_SheetChange only activated when you switch to a different sheet, and is therefore not what you want. Also, You definitely don't want a macro that turns screen updating off and then doesn't turn it on again. The following macro should do what you want:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    ActiveSheet.Columns.AutoFit
End Sub

Let me know if that works!

-Ray

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back