'Near search' function in excel?

imt123

PLease help me out with this problem! It seems simple yet I can't do anything about it.

I have 3 lists of company names that I have acquired from three different sources. The companies mentioned are the same in each of the lists (the lists may have few additional names as well), but since I used 3 different sources for my data, they are worded slighty differently. For example, 'Aberdeen UK smaller Cos' might appear in another list as 'Aberdeen UK Smllr Companies', etc. Now I could manually match all companies across the 3 lists, but the lists are sufficiently long and I do not have enough time. Is it possible to do some sort of 'near matching' function in excel (preferably), or some other software?

I can provide a sample excel sheet with the 3 lists if needed. The reason why I need to match these lists is because I want to mearge the different data (from each of the sources) for each company in Stata for running regressions.

Any kind of help will be highly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
How competent with VBA are you? If you search this board for Fuzzy Vlookup you will get back a UDF written by board member al_b_cnu which can basically do what you want. Alternatively, Google "Soundex algorithm in VBA" which will probably also give you some pointers.

Upvote 0
I was checking out the link provided, and I dont understand much of it! I haven't done much programming in excel, only statistical softwares like Stata,etc. Is there an easier way out of this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back