Need Direction

TheJax

Hi All,

I could use some help with the advanced features of Excel. I have a spreadsheet with over 25,000 records. Close to 200 columns (there are only about 10-15 columns with valuable info). I've watched a few videos on pivot tables and the advanced features of Excel but I'm not grasping it or seeing how I can apply what I need to do.

The spreadsheet contains info going back 22 years. We provide training to individuals in various courses. Here's what I need to do:

I can do the following:
Total number of students in year 1
Total number of students from a specific county in year one
Most popular course in year one
Most popular course based on age in year one

But now I need to do the same for next 21 years. Should I do a separate sheet for each year? What I need to be able to present to our board is a comparison of each year and show them a ranking by year from best to worst. A ranking by county by year from best to worst. Ranking by course, by year best to worst. Most popular course by age, by county by year . Best courses by county, by age and by year (best to worst).

If my description is too vague or you need additional information, please feel free to let me know. Desperate to get going on this!

Using Excel 2019 pro.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
TheJax I am going to suggest you download XL2BB software. Posting a question and using XL2BB to show an example of your worksheet, is a big plus. I just have a hard time seeing what a record looks like. How many courses in a year, are we talking about? I believe we need something to look at.

Upvote 0
Hmmm .... how well is Excel handling all those records ?

Has it maxed out yet ?

Is it running so slow you can go to lunch and return for final display ?

If so ... may Excel isn't the best platform ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back