Need Elseif to change with each row

andrewb90

Hello All,
I have a code validation page setup. But on my sheet InGen I have a list of validation codes and their corresponding expiration dates. Now I could just do an elseif statement that matches the original if statement over and over again, but I was wondering if there is a far more elegant way of doing this?

Basically the codes run from row 4781 through 4791. So the first IF would be 4781, then the ElseIf would be 4782, the next ElseIf would be 4783, etc.

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Code:
Private Sub validate()If Range("D6").Value = Sheets("InGen").Range("XAB4781") Then
    If Now() > CDate(4 / 14 / 1912) And Now() < CDate(Sheets("InGen").Range("XAC4781")) Then
    MsgBox "Your code has been accepted." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Your Software is valid until " & Sheets("InGen").Range("XAC4781"), vbInformation, "The Code Validation Robot Says:"
    Else:
    MsgBox "Your code is not valid." & vbNewLine & "This code expired on " & Sheets("InGen").Range("XAC4780"), vbInformation, "The Code Validation Robot Says:"
    End If

Else:
    MsgBox "Your code is invalid." & vbNewLine & "Please check the code and try again." & vbNewLine & "Contact support with any issues.", vbInformation, "The Code Validation Robot Says:"
End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi,
as suggestion, maybe a For Next Loop will do what you want?

something like following:

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Validate()
    Dim ValidateCode As Integer
    Dim wsInGen As Worksheet
    Dim Title As String

Title = "The Code Validation Robot Says:"

Set wsInGen = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("InGen")

For ValidateCode = 4781 To 4791

If Range("D6").Value = wsInGen.Range("XAB" & ValidateCode) Then

If Now() > CDate(4 / 14 / 1912) And Now() < CDate(wsInGen.Range("XAC" & ValidateCode)) Then

MsgBox "Your code has been accepted." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
                "Your Software is valid until " & wsInGen.Range("XAC" & ValidateCode), vbInformation, Title
            Else

MsgBox "Your code is not valid." & vbNewLine & _
                "This code expired on " & wsInGen.Range("XAC" & ValidateCode - 1), vbInformation, Title

End If

Else

MsgBox "Your code is invalid." & vbNewLine & "Please check the code and try again." & vbNewLine & _
            "Contact support with any issues.", vbInformation, Title

End If

Next ValidateCode

End Sub

example is not intended as a complete or working solution but just to give you some ideas.
Note the range I have highlighted in RED - which is unqualified - To ensure your code performs as intended, you should qualify it to required worksheet.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
That's getting close. I'm tweaking it a bit. Adding Exit sub after the msgbox seemed to fix getting an invalid msgbox repeatedly after the first code was correct, however if I chose a code that was halfway down the list, I would get several invalid messages then the code would get accepted, then exit.
I feel like if I put an elseif in the loop, then I would only get one response instead of a msgbox for every row.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
It was just a suggestion for you to play with to see if could adapt.

Without see copy of your workbook can only guess but perhaps just test for a valid code in Loop & report status according to what is found.

Example:

Code:
Private Sub Validate()
    Dim ValidateCode As Integer
    Dim wsInGen As Worksheet
    Dim Title As String

Title = "The Code Validation Robot Says:"

Set wsInGen = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("InGen")

For ValidateCode = 4781 To 4791

If Range("D6").Value = wsInGen.Range("XAB" & ValidateCode) Then

If Now() > CDate(4 / 14 / 1912) And Now() < CDate(wsInGen.Range("XAC" & ValidateCode)) Then

MsgBox "Your code has been accepted." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
                "Your Software is valid until " & wsInGen.Range("XAC" & ValidateCode), vbInformation, Title
            Exit Sub

End If

Next ValidateCode

MsgBox "Your code is invalid." & vbNewLine & "Please check the code and try again." & vbNewLine & _
            "Contact support with any issues.", vbInformation, Title

End Sub

If you are just checking a number against a range of numbers you may not need to perform a loop test but as said, without seeing copy of your workbook, it's just guessing.

Anyway - I am about to head out of the door for weekend away - hope suggestions are of some help.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantrob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back