Need Formula Help Please

young1tj

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm completely stumped on my current formula issue. No matter how I try and manipulate the data the result still ends the same with the dreaded #NA error.

Worksheet 1: D E F V
First nameLast nameFull NameMicrophone
JohnSmithJohn Smith
#N/A​

Worksheet 2: A B C
LastFirstFull Name
SmithJohnJohn Smith

So I'm trying to populate data in the microphone column with a yes or no. I'm comparing 2 lists of data based off first and last names. If the name exists in worksheet 1 and 2 then populate microphone with "Yes" if not then "No". I did a join on both worksheets to combine the first and last names into the Full Name. I'm trying to use VLOOKUP with FALSE so I get an exact Match but it returns #NA. If I use TRUE I get a different name. Here is my current formula:

=VLOOKUP(F4,'Physician Names'!$A$1:$C$897,3,FALSE)

I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me with this issue as I'm just getting frustrated with this error.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Vlookup looks up the value in the 1st column, so it needs to be
Excel Formula:
=VLOOKUP(F4,'Physician Names'!$C$1:$C$897,1,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Vlookup looks up the value in the 1st column, so it needs to be
Excel Formula:
=VLOOKUP(F4,'Physician Names'!$C$1:$C$897,1,FALSE)
It still came back with the #NA error after switching from 3 to 1, but I am curious as to the column change. F is my concatenated string in worksheet 1 and column 3 would be my concatenated name in worksheet two. Shouldn't it be looking for the exact same name in both sheets to populate the data I'm looking for?

Upvote 0
Shouldn't it be looking for the exact same name in both sheets to populate the data I'm looking for?
That's what it is doing. If you are getting #N/A errors then the names are not an exact match.

Upvote 0
If you're only trying to match the names, and not return a value in table 2 to table 1, then how about:

Excel Formula:
=IF(IFERROR(MATCH(F4,'Physician Names'!$C$1:$C$897,0),0),"YES","NO")

Upvote 0
If you're only trying to match the names, and not return a value in table 2 to table 1, then how about:

Excel Formula:
=IF(IFERROR(MATCH(F4,'Physician Names'!$C$1:$C$897,0),0),"YES","NO")
Thank You!!! This produced the result I was looking for. I was trying to dive into INDEX and MATCH functions, but I could not make heads or tails out of what was actually being required.

Upvote 0
Lookups and Index are used to pull a value from one table to another. Match just tells you if a value exists in another list.

Upvote 0
Lookups and Index are used to pull a value from one table to another. Match just tells you if a value exists in another list.
As I'm double checking my list, I'm noticing that I do have matches in both lists that aren't marking YES. They are same spelling in both spaces so I'm not sure what other check I can look into.

Upvote 0
As I'm double checking my list, I'm noticing that I do have matches in both lists that aren't marking YES. They are same spelling in both spaces so I'm not sure what other check I can look into.
Are they also duplicate values? Could you post some of the data that is not working as you expect?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back