Need help to eliminate duplicate numbers in a column with a VBA

skyport

I was given a macro for this but it doesn't seem to work. Hopefully someone can help.

column A will contain a list of telephone numbers entered in this format: (xxx) yyy-zzzz which is how it would appear in the formula bar if the cell were selected. I need a macro that would eliminate all duplicates but the most important aspect would be to always retain the first entry of each unique number in column A and only eliminate any and all subsequent duplicate entries of same numbers.

Secondly, if possible, although not critical, would be to show in column C those duplicate numbers that were eliminated from column A when the Macro runs and leave column A with only unique numbers and no blank spaces between the entries.

Below is what I was given that doesn't seem to work and please note we need to use PC, Windows 7 and Excel 2000 for this.

Sub test()
ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$A$10").RemoveDuplicates Columns:=1, Header:=xlNo
End Sub

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Sub test()
ActiveSheet.Range("$A:$A").RemoveDuplicates Columns:=1, Header:=xlNo
End Sub

Your Macro would only remove duplicates in the first 10 rows....the macro above removes all duplicates in Column A

Upvote 0
Try this:

Code:
Public Sub SubFindDuplicates()
    Dim oCell As Range, oSource As Range, oPhoneColl As Object
    Dim arrKeys As Variant, arrVals As Variant

Set oPhoneColl = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    Set oSource = Sheets("[B][COLOR=#0000ff]Sheet1[/COLOR][/B]").Range("[B][COLOR=#0000ff]A1:A10[/COLOR][/B]")

For Each oCell In oSource
        If oPhoneColl.Exists(oCell.Value) Then
            oPhoneColl.Item(oCell.Value) = oPhoneColl.Item(oCell.Value) + 1
        Else
            oPhoneColl.Add oCell.Value, 1
        End If
    Next

arrKeys = oPhoneColl.Keys
    arrVals = oPhoneColl.Items

oSource.Clear

For i = 0 To oPhoneColl.Count - 1
        Cells(i + 1, 1).Value = arrKeys(i)
        If arrVals(i) > 1 Then Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Value = arrKeys(i)
    Next
End Sub

Modify highlighted parts if necessary.

Upvote 0
Thanks to you both for helping me. The following were the results from trying both codes:

V_Malkoti - I adjusted the range using the idea supplied by Latchmaker to ("$A:$A") which allows it to cover the entire column and your code works absolutely perfect. Thanks so much.

Latchmaker - I ran the code as you adjusted the range and still I got the same error message when I tried the original which is below:

run-time error 438 Object doesn't support this property or method

However, as I mentioned, using your range suggestion in the V_Malkoti code, the whole problem is solved. I want to thank you both again for helping me. If you care to review or adjust the code you supplied and wish my feed back, I would be most happy to do that.

This forum is made great by help from people like yourselves. You both are greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back