Need help with a formula that I need to ignore any colored cells

Phantasm

Board Regular
I have a formula to prioritize jobs on a worksheets that takes into account the days remaining until the jobs due date & also the operations of the job. I quantify each operation to a number that equals the days that I think the operation will take. Here is the formula:

=SUM(INT(E2-TODAY()))-(SUM(COUNTIF(G2:N2,{"SAW","3-AXIS","BP","MILL","BLANCHARD","RAL *","HARDEN","ASSEMBLY","BLACK ZINC","BRIGHT ZINC","BEND","BLACK ANODIZE","KEYSLOT","SPLINE","SAND","HELICOIL","CLEAR ANODIZE","WILLIAMS","WELD","LATHE","EPI"})*{0.5,1,1,1,5,5,2,0.5,1,1,3,5,5,5,0.5,0.2,1,5,2,1,5}))

E2 = Due date
G2:N2 = Job operations (example: 3-axis - Bend - BP - Black Zinc)

What I need this formula to do is to ignore any cells that are filled with any color. This is because as operations are completed, I fill that operations cell with a color.

I know excel cant check things by cell color, but if I can do something by making a VBA command, that works for me. Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Either use a file sharing site if really necessary, or post screenshots. It is relatively rare to need the actual workbook.

Upvote 0
Either use a file sharing site if really necessary, or post screenshots. It is relatively rare to need the actual workbook.

Done. I posted the exact function & it worked for her, but not for me. I believe the best next step would be to post the workbook. If Im wrong, I apologize.

Upvote 0
Right... this is going to sound completely nuts, but I think that it is because of the font when you copy and paste!

In the code at the moment, the case options have are surrounded by speech marks that look like this: “”

But, they should have speech marks that look like this: " "

I did a find and replace in the VBA function, and as soon as they were changed, it worked absolutely fine.

Upvote 0
Right... this is going to sound completely nuts, but I think that it is because of the font when you copy and paste!

In the code at the moment, the case options have are surrounded by speech marks that look like this: “”

But, they should have speech marks that look like this: " "

I did a find and replace in the VBA function, and as soon as they were changed, it worked absolutely fine.

Wow, that is crazy...See Rory, I would have never figured this out without me sending her the file. It works great now. How did you manage to notice that? Thanks a million! I owe you one!

Upvote 0
Sheer luck to be honest.. I was stepping through the code and couldn't quite figure out how it was applying values to empty cells.. Got there in the end though!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doherty22

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back