Need some help with a calculation

calmedic21

Hello,

I am new to this site. I am not very good at Excel 2003, but I am learning. I have actually created some accounting forms for my neighbor who I am helping and need some help on one of them. Is there a way to have someone help me by seeing the actual spreadsheet?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Welcome to the Board!

Try posting some images of sample data to the board. There are tools to assist you in that endeavour. Some can be found in the About This Board forum. Richard Schollar also has a tool you can use if you send him a Private Message. You can see his profile here.

calmedic21

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for your reply. Again, please forgive me, I am new to this forum type stuff. How do I attach a copy of the worksheet I need help on?

Thanks Again.

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
You CANNOT attach your worksheet, only images.
I mentioned in my last post how you can find out information on how to do that, and provided a link to a Moderator on this board who can send you a program he has to do that.

calmedic21

ADVERTISEMENT

Great...Thank You

calmedic21

This is what I am trying to accomplish:

E5=Service Amt
F5=Repair Amt
G5=Total Amt of E5 + F5
H5=Discount Total E5 + F5 - 3%
Q5=Balance
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
If customer pays before end of month, they pay the discounted amt on the invoice, which is Column H5, if they do not, they pay the original amount which is Column G5. I need a formula to tell the Balance Column Q5 which Total to use. Each Row is a customer. Maybe like adding a Checkbox Column that if it is checked use one or the other.

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows

ADVERTISEMENT

There are a few ways you could go about this.

You could use Data Validation to make a drop down selection to indicate if they paid early or not (Yes/No), or prehaps enter the dates.

Then you could just use a simple IF statement to determine which value to return, i.e.

=IF(I5="Yes",H5,G5)

calmedic21

Hello Joe,

That worked great. But I forgot to tell you that Cells L5 and O5 is where I enter the amount the customer paid by check. Two cells in case they pay by two checks. So when I enter the amounts, the Balance does not go down. But the formula you gave me works awesome.

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
You could just subtract those amounts, if that is what you want to happen.

=IF(I5="Yes",H5,G5) - L5 - O5

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stams

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...