Need to convert a number from a parsed Arabic sentence to a number

Nineball

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
After parsing an Arabic sentence that contains a number, the number appears at the right hand side of the cell. I believe the number appears as text. Any formula on the cell results in #VALUE.
I haven't found any function that will change it to a number. Any suggestions? thanks

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 15
I don't think that's what the red symbols mean. The TYPE formula on rows 3 and 5 is designed to return a numeric code indicating whether the argument passed to it is text (2) or numeric (1). So those cells contain numbers are are formatted as such. The LEN function you've reported on should count nonprinting characters that sometimes cause this type of problem, and it sounds as if there are none in the cells. How are you obtaining the result of "9" in cell A2?

Also, have you tried the Text to Column wizard...to see if the 9 can be automatically reinterpreted as a numeric 9?
Now that you mention it, my triangles are green and they do mean a value stored as text.
I don't think that's what the red symbols mean. The TYPE formula on rows 3 and 5 is designed to return a numeric code indicating whether the argument passed to it is text (2) or numeric (1). So those cells contain numbers are are formatted as such. The LEN function you've reported on should count nonprinting characters that sometimes cause this type of problem, and it sounds as if there are none in the cells. How are you obtaining the result of "9" in cell A2?

Also, have you tried the Text to Column wizard...to see if the 9 can be automatically reinterpreted as a numeric 9?
In the picture I just uploaded, the warning triangles are green and indicate a value stored as text. I didn't pay attention to your example that they were red. Either way, Text to columns is what I use when I first create the cell. That's how I discovered the ones that are problematic

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Let's try something simple first:
select the cell with the 9 > Ctrl+C > Ctrl+H > in Replace tab put cursor in Find What box then paste (Ctrl+V) > in the Replace with box, type 9 > Replace all
Then see how it works now.

View attachment 94648
Yes, that works. However, doing this process for thousands of different numbers would be a hell of a lot more work than just typing the numbers into the cell

Upvote 0
Yes, that works. However, doing this process for thousands of different numbers would be a hell of a lot more work than just typing the numbers into the cell
Ok, I suspect the 9 is a unicode character.
Check it like this:
If it's 9 as Ascii character the result should be 57, if not then we can write a code to replace it to 9 .

Book1
AB
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=UNICODE(A1)

Upvote 0
I just saw your question about how I obtain the 9 in cell A2.

first, I determine the location of the colon and the first space using findb. They might be different in each case. In the example sentence below, the colon is at the 2nd position and the first space is at the 5 position. The first number (which always works properly) is left(cell, colon position-1) which results in a 1 for the below cell. Then to get the number after the colon (the problem one), =mid(cell, colon position+1, (Space Position-1)-Colon Position) which results in 17.

1:17‏ خۇدا بۇلارنى يەرگە يورۇقلۇق بېرىپ، كۈندۈز بىلەن كېچىنى باشقۇرۇپ، يورۇقلۇق بىلەن قاراڭغۇلۇقنى ئايرىسۇن دەپ ئاسمانلارنىڭ گۈمبىزىگە ئورۇنلاشتۇردى. خۇدا بۇنىڭ ياخشى بولغانلىقىنى كۆرد

Does that make sense? I know it's hard to do these things cold like this

Upvote 0
Yes, thank you...based on what you posted, I figured that's how you were extracting the numbers. Have you seen the suggestion from @Akuini to check the unicode? I think that looks promising.

Upvote 0
Ok, I suspect the 9 is a unicode character.
Check it like this:
If it's 9 as Ascii character the result should be 57, if not then we can write a code to replace it to 9 .

Book1
AB
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=UNICODE(A1)
the result of the unicode for the 17 is 49. =unicode(cell containing 17) is 49

Upvote 0
@Nineball
Did you try the method I suggested in post #10?
yes, but would be more labor intensive to find and replace all of the values than it would be to just input the numbers manually. I think you have something with the ascii unicode thing. What would be the formula to change it from the ascii value back to the proper number?

Upvote 0
the result of the unicode for the 17 is 49. =unicode(cell containing 17) is 49
That's not what I got.
I copied your example from post #9 then pasted it in a text editor then from there copy 17 to excel, here's what I got:
Book1
AB
1لەن1604
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=UNICODE(A1)

so 17 became لەن

Upvote 0
sorry if my answers are blended with the wrong questions. I'm new to this and have been working on this for a while

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VBquery757

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back