Need to convert a number from a parsed Arabic sentence to a number

Nineball

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
After parsing an Arabic sentence that contains a number, the number appears at the right hand side of the cell. I believe the number appears as text. Any formula on the cell results in #VALUE.
I haven't found any function that will change it to a number. Any suggestions? thanks

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 14
That's not what I got.
I copied your example from post #9 then pasted it in a text editor then from there copy 17 to excel, here's what I got:
Book1
AB
1لەن1604
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=UNICODE(A1)

so 17 became لەن
how did you test the 17? Did you copy it from the cell or did you create a new cell with the 17 as the result and then check?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
how did you test the 17? Did you copy it from the cell or did you create a new cell with the 17 as the result and then check?
Look at post 15 to see how I extract the cell. If my process is flawed, and there is a better way to extract the number, my eyes are wide open

Upvote 0
Sorry, I think I messed up the part that I copy-paste. It's actually hard to navigate/select part of text with right to left orientation.
I mean I selected 17 in the text editor but actually it was different part that get selected.
I'll try something else then.

Could you upload a sample workbook (without sensitive data) to a sharing site like dropbox.com or google drive?
And then share the link here.
It will be easier to test if I have the workbook.

Upvote 0
I think you might be on the right path with the ascii
Sorry, I think I messed up the part that I copy-paste. It's actually hard to navigate/select part of text with right to left orientation.
I mean I selected 17 in the text editor but actually it was different part that get selected.
I'll try something else then.

Could you upload a sample workbook (without sensitive data) to a sharing site like dropbox.com or google drive?
And then share the link here.
It will be easier to test if I have the workbook.
I haven't done this before but I think this is the link for the google drive folder: Google Drive: Sign-in

Upvote 0
@Nineball, could you confirm your Excel version, please? You're using Excel 2010? I think I've discovered an alternative approach, but it uses Excel 365 functions...which may not be useful to you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back