Need to MATCH the first 4 chars in A2 against C:C then return adjacent cell in D:D (into B2)

brashandcrass

[FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Looking to[/FONT]

• MATCH the first 4 chars in cell A2
  • against Col C:C
  • If there's a match to the first 4 chars in A2 WITHIN the cell (could be the first, last, or even 12th word in the cell)...
  • Return the adjacent cell's value (in D:D) into B2
[FONT=&quot]
Unfortunately the program to a conference I am attending is not very well laid out. I'll rip the contents from the PDF and place into Excel to be manipulated.

I have a list of speakers - almost 300 of them - in a "Who's Speaking at this Event" and want to match their last names against the Agenda where its description describes the session and the speakers participating. In an adjacent column will be the sessions time and location.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For example, if John Abcdefghi is speaking in a session I want to attend, I want to scrub "Abcd" against a the Agenda column, then populate "Mon, 9:30a" from the adjacent column, to a cell next to his name in my own, personalized agenda.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Thanks![/FONT]

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
D'oh! :oops: Of course you need to add the ",4"! I don't know why I missed it, glad you caught it.

As far as the formula, it uses some poorly documented features of LOOKUP to make it work. First, it has some array processing functionality. Next, it ignores errors. And finally, if it can't find the value you're looking for, it returns the last number in the array.

So the SEARCH(LEFT(A2, 4),C2:C100) performs the SEARCH function on every cell in C2:C100 and returns the results in an array. The result of SEARCH (which is case-insensitive) is either the offset into the cell where the search string starts, or #VALUE !, so you get something like {#VALUE !,#VALUE !,#VALUE !,4,#VALUE !,#VALUE !,10,#VALUE !}. Putting the 1/ in front of the array calculates the reciprocal of each element, leaving the errors as errors, so it becomes: {#VALUE !,#VALUE !,#VALUE !,0.25,#VALUE !,#VALUE !,0.1,#VALUE !}. Since the results from SEARCH are all >=1, then the reciprocals will all be <=1. So when LOOKUP looks for 2, we KNOW it will never find it. So LOOKUP returns the last numeric value from the array, 0.1 in this example, then gives you the value from the D2:D100 range that's in the same position.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
The more I read it the more it makes sense but still trying to understand how/why looking for the "last numeric value from the array, 0.1" works.

Thanks for the explanation either way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back