Nest two IF statements

kuhfku

I have the following IF statements in a spreadsheet for tracking observations. Cell C11 is the date of the observation. The nested IF statement is intended to go in a "next observation due" column.

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("walkthrough",D11)),WORKDAY(C11,10),WORKDAY(C11,40))

=IF(OR(C11="",E11="Ungraded",L11="Yes"),"",WORKDAY(C11,10,))

The first statement is to add 10 working days to C11 if cell D11 contains the word walkthrough, if not it adds 40 working days.

The second statement will blank the cell if no observation has taken place (C11), the observation was ungraded (E11) or the actions have been achieved (L11), if not it adds 10 working days to C11.

Both statements work on their own but I need them both to work in the same cell and I can't make them nest and still work. I just get a #VALUE error when I attempt to nest them.

I have tried the following:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("walkthrough",D11)),WORKDAY(C11,10),WORKDAY(C11,40)), IF(OR(C11="",L11="Yes",E11="Ungraded"),"",WORKDAY(C11,10,))

=IF(OR(C11="",L11="Yes",E11="Ungraded"),"",WORKDAY(C11,10,)), IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("walkthrough",D11)),WORKDAY(C11,10),WORKDAY(C11,40))

=IF(OR(C11="",L11="Yes",E11="Ungraded"),""), IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("walkthrough",D11)),WORKDAY(C11,10),WORKDAY(C11,40))

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("walkthrough",D11)),WORKDAY(C11,10),WORKDAY(C11,40)), IF(OR(C11="",L11="Yes",E11="Ungraded"),"")

I basically ran out of ideas at that point. Is there a way to merge these statements? Or is there just a simpler way to do it?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Re: Struggling to nest two IF statements

Try Following

=IF(OR(C11="",E11="Ungraded",L11="Yes"),"",IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("walkthrough",D11))),WORKDAY(C11,40),WORKDAY(C11,10)))

Thanks
Swapnil Shah

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herushi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back