Nested IF statement with 18 IFs

LarryC_SA

I am trying to figure a better method than using a Nested IF statement with 18 IFs. The below example is only 3 IFs, but my data has 18 columns of amounts. I have to assign an Account_No based on if there is a value in an Amount column. I couldn't figure out how to use VLOOKUP for this. Not sure if INDEX and MATCH will work.

The formula for AccountNo field is:
=IF(B2<>0,"12345",IF(C2<>0,23456,IF(D2<>0,34567,99999)))

I am using Excel 2013 so IFS won't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Company
Sales
COGS
Interest
GLAccount_No
XYZ
$5000
$0
$00
XYZ
$0
$600
$0
XYZ
$0
$0
$250
XYZ
$0
$0
$0
XYZ
$0
$75
$0

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Are you just looking for the first non zero in column B, and returning corresponding value from column E ?

Try

=INDEX(E2:E6,MATCH(1,INDEX(B2:B6>0,0),0))

Or if there will only be 1 value > 0 in the column (otherwise it would actually return the last non 0)
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B2:B6>0),E2:E6)

Upvote 0
You can do this with an array index/match combo. Ideally you would have a row/column with the return values. For your above 3 IF example you can use

=INDEX({12345,23456,99999}, MATCH(TRUE, $B12:$D12<>0, 0))

This needs entered using keystroke ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter.

Which will return the first position where the columns don't equal 0

Upvote 0
Jonmo1, there is no value in column E. I am trying to populate it with a G/L account number based on if an Amount column has $$$ <> 0.

mrhstn, thank you. This worked, but I tweaked it a little so I wouldn't have to include all the AccountNo values in the INDEX. I created a 2 column table (tblGL_Values). Column 1 was 1,2,3,4.... 18. Column 2 was the associated values to those 1-18 numbers. It allows me to maintain a table of the columns so if I add or remove any, I don't need to change the formula. The MATCH portion returns the column # and I use that for the VLOOKUP.

Also, thanks for the tip on having the formula as an array.

=VLOOKUP(MATCH(TRUE,$B4:$D4<>0,0),tblGL_Values,2,FALSE)

P.S. As an aside, the original data has multiple Amount fields on the same record with amounts. I had a DBA "split" records so only 1 Amount field was populated. I didn't want to try that considering 1 month's of data had over 45K records, and I wasn't going to figure out how to do that in Excel/VBA for 2 years worth of monthly data. Excel may have choked on the "splitting".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristinh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back