Nested IF with blank Value needed

RandomWittyName

Hello,

First and foremost, sorry if the title is confusing. I've been writing and staring at formulas so long words make little sense now. :p I work at a call center and am trying to write a formula for a workbook and am having some difficulty. Scenario: The work book has 11 pages. One per call agent and one for the supervisor. The call agent stats are entered in their sheets and reported on the supervisor sheet based on the month selected. The formula I'm using is all nested IFs:

Code:
=IF($Y$3="January",'Emp 4'!$B$13,IF($Y$3="February",'Emp 4'!$B$14,IF($Y$3="March",'Emp 4'!$B$15,IF($Y$3="April",'Emp 4'!$B$16,IF($Y$3="May",'Emp 4'!$B$17,IF($Y$3="June",'Emp 4'!$B$18,IF($Y$3="July",'Emp 4'!$B$19,IF($Y$3="August",'Emp 4'!$B$20,IF($Y$3="September",'Emp 4'!$B$21,IF($Y$3="October",'Emp 4'!$B$22,IF($Y$3="November",'Emp 4'!$B$23,IF($Y$3="December",'Emp 4'!$B$24))))))))))))

The trouble I'm having is that I need the formula to return a blank cell if no data was entered in the call agent's sheet. Normally, and if I didn't have to use the month as the variable, I'd use:

Code:
=IF($Y$3="January",'Emp 4'!$B$13," ")

But since I need it to adjust by the month, I'm stuck with the long nested IF formula. I can't figure this out! Can anyone help?:rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Try this:

=IFNA(INDEX('Emp 4'!$B$13:$B$24,MATCH($Y$3,{"January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December"},0)),"")

or this as an array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter):

{=IFNA(INDEX('Emp 4'!$B$13:$B$24,MATCH($Y$3,TEXT(DATE(2016,ROW($A$1:$A$12),1),"mmmm"),0)),"")}

WBD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Neither worked. The first gave a general error and the second denied. Our office has a very tight grip on the admin settings so a lot of normal functions are restricted. :eek:

Try this:

=IFNA(INDEX('Emp 4'!$B$13:$B$24,MATCH($Y$3,{"January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December"},0)),"")

or this as an array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter):

{=IFNA(INDEX('Emp 4'!$B$13:$B$24,MATCH($Y$3,TEXT(DATE(2016,ROW($A$1:$A$12),1),"mmmm"),0)),"")}

WBD

Upvote 0
I've never heard of Excel formulas being forbidden by some administrative setting. Are you sure that's the case? What are the actual error messages you get?

WBD

Upvote 0
Try :-
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX('Emp 4'!B13:B24,MATCH($Y$3,TEXT(DATE(2016,ROW($1:$12),1),"mmmm"),0)),"")

entered with Control-Shift-Enter for Excel versions 2007 and later.

hth

@WideBoyDixon IFNA is not a valid function, certainly in Excel 2007

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back