nexting functions in VBA

NewUser2

Board Regular
I wish it was as easy as pasting creative formulas from Excel to VBA, but alas it is not, which is why i am here...

I have this formula working in a cell, but would like it to work in VBA:
=EOMONTH(EDATE(DATE(YEAR(AA3),FLOOR(MONTH(AA3)-1,3)+1,1),3),-1)

The purpose of it is to get a date and round it to the next quarter end. For example, AA3 = Nov 1, 2017 and the formula results in Dec 31, 2017 (but in date format).

From reading some posts online about the year function it said to write it out something like this:
NewDate = EOMONTH(EDATE(DATE(YEAR(worksheets("MtgFile").cells(y,27)),FLOOR(MONTH($AA3)-1,3)+1,1),3),-1)

However, that's just for the year function. I dont know how all the rest of these work when nested.

The error I am getting is:
Compile error: Expected: )

And it's highlighting 'YEAR' in the formula above

Thanks in advance!

I guess while I have you two Date guru's.... Any ideas on modifications to those 2 functions that will round the result? If I enter Jan 5, 2018, it rounds up to March 31, 2018. But it would be good if it did a logical round to the nearest quarter end. So that would
If I understand what you are looking for correctly, this would be the function (note the name change)...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Function RoundedLastDayInQuarter(Dte As Date) As Date
  Dim MidQuarter As Date
  MidQuarter = Int(Application.Average(DateAdd("q", Format(Dte, "q"), "1/1/" & Year(Dte)), DateAdd("q", Format(Dte, "q") - 1, "1/1/" & Year(Dte))))
  RoundedLastDayInQuarter = DateSerial(Year(Dte), 3 * (Format(Dte, "q") + (Dte < MidQuarter)) + 1, 0)
End Function[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
and this would be the macro...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub LastDayRoundedToNearestQuarter()
  Dim Dte As Date, Appdate As Date, MidQuarter As Date
  Dte = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D1")
  MidQuarter = Int(Application.Average(DateAdd("q", Format(Dte, "q"), "1/1/" & Year(Dte)), DateAdd("q", Format(Dte, "q") - 1, "1/1/" & Year(Dte))))
  Appdate = DateSerial(Year(Dte), 3 * (Format(Dte, "q") + (Dte < MidQuarter)) + 1, 0)
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Oh fantastic, that works too! Thanks again.

Any idea on the quarter rounding problem I mentioned above?

Maybe i can also point you toward my other problem..... https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1052282-vba-date-match-rounding.html

- The main issue in that other post is what you've started to solve here. (thanks again) However I'm also trying to see if there's a better / faster way to loop through all my data while looking up these dates (and offsetting from them to return another value).

Cheers

Edit Note: Just saw your need for this to be a macro... no need for the function as you can embed the code directly. Give this a try...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Sub test()
  Dim Dte As Date, Appdate As Date
  Dte = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D1")
  Appdate = DateSerial(Year(Dte), 3 * Format(Dte, "q") + 1, 0)
End Sub[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back