No data series bars in chart

Howling Rabbit

I tried to make a column chart out of a previously-made database list. Even though the wizard preview accurately details in the legend what the column bars will represent, there are no column bars visible! When I go ahead and make the chart anyway, still no column bars appear.
I tested my copy of Excel 2000 itself to see if the program was OK by creating a new sheet and then putting in a bunch of labels and data. The chart wizard preview showed exactly what the chart would look like.
I tried re-formatting the numbers on my original chart in various ways: number, general, etc. It does no good.
Any advice will be welcome.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I know how to take a screen shot of my worksheet but I don't know how to get the image into this forum. Perhaps a useful addition to this forum would be to offer the capability to set up a small representation of a blank spreadsheet and then one could copy and paste his or her data.

Upvote 0
If you set the Message Editor Interface to "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" you can copy a range from your worksheet and paste it into a reply (Profile|Quick Links|Edit Options scroll to bottom). I find it works best if you put borders around all the cells in the range.

Upvote 0
Actually what I did was simply re-enter the information in a fresh worksheet. Making a chart is now no problem. I don't know what I did wrong before but since I deleted the original sheet, it looks like I'll never find out. I did use a different font in that original layout; I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Oh well...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back