Not Equal To not working in SUMIFS function

lracrft

I have created a SUMIFS function that is returning an incorrect value and I have narrowed the cause down to the not equal to (<>) not working properly. My equation looks like this:

=SUMIFS(Sheet2!F:F,Sheet2!O:O,741,Sheet2!Q:Q,251,Sheet2!T:T,1,Sheet2!W:W,"<>12017")

The value it returns for me is the value that it would return if the "Sheet2!W:W,"<>12017"" argument were not there. I have checked the format of the cells of both where the formula is located as well as the format of the cells where the data is pulling from - they match and the problem isn't changed by changing the format of the cells. the "12017" value is a concatenation of two other fields, so I also tried pasting the solution to that formula as values but that didn't work either. What else could possibly be causing excel to just ignore my <> argument?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hey there, I could be 100% wrong here but it seems to me that you don't have a criteria for your first criteria range.

You have:

=SUMIFS(Sheet2!F:F, NO CRITERIA HERE, Sheet2!O:O ...............

I am assuming that Sheet!2O:O is actually your second criteria range, and thus you have no criteria for your 1st criteria. However, like I said, I could be 100% wrong in my assumption.

-Spydey

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

If the last criterion isn't having any effect, then none of the cells are actually 12017. Perhaps there are leading or trailing spaces?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually because this is a SUMIFS rather than a SUMIF, the Sheet2!F:F is the sum range, not a criteria range. The SUMIF function puts the sum range last, but for SUMIFS it is first. Is that what you're thinking?

Upvote 0
Make your concatenate formula like this for example:

=CONCATENATE(120,17)+0

Should work then. Excel is seeing your number as text.

Upvote 0
RoryA - I did try the trim function on Sheet 2 to mitigate that potential issue - I also tried entering a leading 0 just in case that could be causing an issue. Neither of those things had an effect.

Upvote 0
If you check one of the cells you think contains 12017 using LEN() what does it return?

Upvote 0
Actually because this is a SUMIFS rather than a SUMIF, the Sheet2!F:F is the sum range, not a criteria range. The SUMIF function puts the sum range last, but for SUMIFS it is first. Is that what you're thinking?

You are 100% correct, sir. I was thinking of countifs for some reason, which has all the criteria ranges proceed the needed criteria. Sorry about the confusion.

-Spydey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HockeyBoi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back