Offset "Application.Match" result to find destination cell

meisch

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'll try to be as brief as possible. Here's the rundown.

Setup: I have 2 Workbooks. I'm trying to loop through Workbook#1 and for every cell that contains a blue border, I then want to search for that cell value on Workbook 2 (a result SHOULD always be present). Once the result is found, I then want to offset 1 column on Workbook#2(right next to the match that was found), and place the data from Workbook #1 there.

Problem: The code below stops working after I've stored the match result in the variable(resultM). The data stored in resultM is the row number of the correct match. I'm wondering how I can use that in a range to be able to offset by 1 column. The current error I'm getting is "rr2Dest.value = <Object variable or With block variable not set".

I've tried inserting a With End With block and that didn't work. Did I do it wrong? Because I have no idea what Object variable the error is talking about. Are my variables set correctly? I've been messing with this for days now and have no idea what's wrong! I'm about 2.5 weeks into VBA coding so an explanation would be much appreciated. Please help!!

VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()

Dim testWS As Worksheet
Dim testRange As Range, idCella As Range
Dim alastRow2 As Long, resultM As Long
Dim rr2dest As Range

Set testWS = Workbooks("Test.xlsx").Worksheets("October")                                       'set workbook#2 as testWS
Set testRange = testWS.Columns(1)                                                                               'Workbook#2 - the range my result will be in
alastRow2 = Worksheets("Reruns To Pull").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row         'Workbook#1 - find last row in column A that contains data
Set rr2dest = Nothing

For Each idCella In Worksheets("Reruns To Pull").Range("A1:A" & alastRow2).Cells                'Workbook#1 - for each cell in Column A

If idCella.Borders.Color = RGB(0, 0, 192) Then                                                               'Workbook#1 - if cells in Col A have a borders.color = RGB(0,0,192) then

resultM = Application.Match(idCella.Value, testRange, 0)                                        'Search through column A of Workbook#2, find exact match, and store in variable resultM

Set rr2dest.Value = resultM                                                          'my problem is right here.

rr2dest.Value = idCella.Value
            rr2dest.Interior.Color = idCella.Interior.Color                                                 'everything I want to transfer from Column A of Workbook#1 to Column B of Workbook#2
            rr2dest.Borders.Color = idCella.Borders.Color
            rr2dest.Borders.Weight = idCella.Borders.Weight

End If

Next idCella

End Sub

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
rr2dest is a range, you can't set it to a value. You have not set the range variable.
I wasn't sure what to set the range to seeing how it depended on the match result. Tried setting it to
Code:
Range(resultM).end(xlToRight).Column
but that didn't work. However, I just figured out one solution.

VBA Code:
Set rr2dest = testWS.Range("A" & CStr(resultM)).Offset(0, 1)

Everything populated correctly on the 2nd workbook. I didn't realize excel wasn't keeping track of the workbook it was on through the steps of the macro. Used the CStr in combination with the returned row from the match result and the offset put all the correct data into column B on the 2nd workbook. This was driving me insane!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back