Open Multiple Browser Tabs & Search Specific Terms

Fujirich

This is just a concept at this point, but I wonder if its even possible with Excel...

Say that A1:A10 are filled with search terms - apple, lug nuts, house cleaners, car mechanics, lawn care, etc - the terms don't matter at this point. Additionally, in B1 is a location (a city or state name), like: Houston

Might there be a way via macro to open the browser (let's use Chrome, but it would be nice if it could be whatever the selected default browser is), and in each tab insert the term from A1:A10, plus the location term from B1, and then search. So the first tab would search for "apple Houston", and the second tab would search for "lug nuts Houston", the third "house cleaners Houston", etc. It would open whatever number of tabs it needs to, corresponding to the number of terms in cells A1:A10. So going along with my example, I have five terms above, and five tabs would be opened.

Hopefully all that makes sense. More importantly: is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I'm not sure about Chrome, but you can definitely do it with IE. There's a library that lets you control IE, and unless my memory fails me, it's called Microsoft Internet Control. You enable it in VBA under Tools, References.

I just spent a few minutes googling, and it seems there's something called Selenium VBA that lets you control any browser. https://github.com/florentbr/SeleniumBasic But it doesn't seem to be in active development, the last updates being two years old.

Upvote 0
Thanks Robert!

I do see those tools still in the latest version of Excel, and IE is fine for this purpose, so perhaps this will work

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back