Ordering a dynamic list from smallest to largest

lawi227

Board Regular
I have a table with two columns - both columns have cell references. These columns produce a summary table.

The first column scans a row of data and only returns a list of unique values. There are over 500 rows of data, and my formula returns a maximum of 18 unique values. Sometimes the data will return fewer unique values.

In the second column, I calculate an average based on each of the unique values (using averageif).

In theory, I would like to be able to filter this table based off of the second column (from smallest-to-largest or largest-to-smallest), but when I add filters and filter, the references all get out of wack.

Can I do this by editing my formula?
Column 1 formula (entered into B41 dragged down to B58):='LPA Categories & Data Validate'!A4
Column 2 formula (entered into B41 dragged down to B58): =IFERROR(AVERAGEIF('Selected LP List'!$C$4:$C$740,'LPA Tables'!$B41,'Selected LP List'!$I$4:$I$740),"")

My current solution is to create a third column a rank the values from 1-18. I think create a second table (called "Sorted") which just does an index match off of the first table to return the data from 1-18 in descending order. I do not like having two tables in my workbook. Can this be done in one workbook?

I'm not opposed to a macro.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I have, but they don't quite work for the functionality of the tool. I'm trying to avoid pivot tables because I'm trying to keep this tool simplified for the end-user. Do you think this can be done with a macro or another formula?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Trying the macro route, something like this may work for you.

Where I am talking about the "style" of the macro not the actual ranges and sheet names I used on a test sheet.

The two WITH Range(... will put the formulas in the cells in columns A and B for the rows you wish. (The formulas will fill down same as pulling)
I am using 18 rows that start at A14 and B14 and fills down to row 31, and returns the values of those formulas ONLY (not the formula on the sheet).
With values in the cells instead of formulas, sorting does not mess with the formula references, i.e. there are no formulas.
Then sort on column B, Ascending/Descending, no header.

You would need to put formulas in the code that actually work on the sheet, and note the Double Quotes are expressed as """" to return 'nothing' instead of "".

=IFERROR(AVERAGE(A14:A31,C4:C996),"""")

Perhaps the major flaw with the VALUES only is that you need the formulas to continue to function after sorting for what ever reason.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub myColumn_Sort()
  Dim lRowCount&

lRowCount = 18

With Range("A14").Resize(lRowCount)
    .Formula = "='LPA Categories & Data Validate'!A4"
    .Value = .Value
  End With

With Range("B14").Resize(lRowCount)
    .Formula = "=IFERROR(AVERAGE(A14:A31,C4:C996),"""")"
    .Value = .Value
  End With

Range("A:B").Sort Key1:=Range("B14"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks, Harold. I'm having some trouble on the second formula that is used to calculate the average. Note: I've copied the whole code - which has been modified from my original post. You'll notice the columns are B:C and has 9 rows.

Any idea why that formula isn't acceptable?

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #011993; background-color: #ffffff}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; background-color: #ffffff; min-height: 13.0px}p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff}p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; min-height: 13.0px}p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Menlo; color: #ff2600; background-color: #ffffff}span.s1 {color: #000000}span.s2 {color: #011993}</style>Option Explicit

Sub myColumn_Sort()
Dim lRowCount&

lRowCount = 9

With Range("B45").Resize(lRowCount)
.Value = .Value
End With

With Range("C45").Resize(lRowCount)
.Formula = "=IFERROR(AVERAGEIF('Selected LP List'!$D$4:$D$740,'LPA Tables (1 org)'!$B45,'Selected LP List'!$J$4:$J$740),""")"
.Value = .Value
End With

Range("B:C").Sort Key1:=Range("C45"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
End Sub

Trying the macro route, something like this may work for you.

Where I am talking about the "style" of the macro not the actual ranges and sheet names I used on a test sheet.

The two WITH Range(... will put the formulas in the cells in columns A and B for the rows you wish. (The formulas will fill down same as pulling)
I am using 18 rows that start at A14 and B14 and fills down to row 31, and returns the values of those formulas ONLY (not the formula on the sheet).
With values in the cells instead of formulas, sorting does not mess with the formula references, i.e. there are no formulas.
Then sort on column B, Ascending/Descending, no header.

You would need to put formulas in the code that actually work on the sheet, and note the Double Quotes are expressed as """" to return 'nothing' instead of "".

=IFERROR(AVERAGE(A14:A31,C4:C996),"""")

Perhaps the major flaw with the VALUES only is that you need the formulas to continue to function after sorting for what ever reason.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub myColumn_Sort()
  Dim lRowCount&

lRowCount = 18

With Range("A14").Resize(lRowCount)
    .Value = .Value
  End With

With Range("B14").Resize(lRowCount)
    .Formula = "=IFERROR(AVERAGE(A14:A31,C4:C996),"""")"
    .Value = .Value
  End With

Range("A:B").Sort Key1:=Range("B14"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
End Sub

Upvote 0
Probably a little matter of " is missing

Bad formula...
"=IFERROR(AVERAGEIF('Selected LP List'!$D$4:$D$740,'LPA Tables (1 org)'!$B45,'Selected LP List'!$J$4:$J$740),""")"

Good formula...?
"=IFERROR(AVERAGEIF('Selected LP List'!$D$4:$D$740,'LPA Tables (1 org)'!$B45,'Selected LP List'!$J$4:$J$740),"""")"

Howard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back