Outlook - run a macro when a specific task is marked complete

Egan3208

New to VBA,

I have 10 tasks that need to be completed on a regular bi-weekly schedule. Once a task is complete, I have to update a log in an excel sheet that says I did my job.

There are 4 tasks that need to be done on weeks 2, 4, 6, etc.
There are 6 tasks that need to be done on weeks 1, 3, 5, etc.

I have already created these tasks with reminders that pop up in the side pane of my Outlook, next to my emails. When they are done, I just right click and choose "Mark Complete".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I mark a task as complete from Outlook, I would like for the log in the Excel sheet to be updated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I've gathered online, I need to write this macro in Outlook, and not in excel (or maybe part of it needs to be done in excel?)

I've seen suggestions (http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...sks-update-my-spreadsheet-extremely-hard.html) that say to use the Outlook PropertyChange event to open my specific excel sheet, and then call a macro from excel to update the data in that sheet.

How do I make sure the macro runs when I mark only those 10 specific task as complete, and not when any other task is marked complete?

I'm not even sure how to begin writing this, but it would be a great starting point if someone could post a snippet of code that will open a message box with "Hello World!" when I mark the task "Say Hello World Task" as complete (ensuring that a message box will NOT pop up when any other task is marked complete).

My hope is that I can write most of this on my own. I don't want free code but I need somewhere to start from. Once I get something substantial, I would like to post it here to get critiques and feedback.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenmaldonado

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back