Parse delimited cells, use results in lookup, concatenate

porear

Sorry this is a compound problem but I am not sure how to solve each step with a method producing an output compatible with input types for the next piece.

I need to parse comma delimited numbers (stored as text) in cells like those in col C below. I then need to look up each of the parsed numbers against col A, retrieve the corresponding data from col B, and return all results in column E (separated by carriage returns). All data is text format.

I know I can read in the delimited data with Split, but not sure how to proceed with the lookup from there, as I don't know how (or if it is possible) to then pass that array to a VLOOKUP function. Maybe that is the wrong approach anyway...

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Excel 2010
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #bbb 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #bbb 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: #bbb 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #bbb 1px solid" rules=all cellPadding=2><COLGROUP><COL style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dae7f5" width=25><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP><THEAD><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dae7f5; COLOR: #161120"><TH></TH><TH>A</TH><TH>B</TH><TH>C</TH><TH>D</TH><TH>E</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #161120">1</TD><TD>ID</TD><TD>Desc</TD><TD>Cross Ref</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD><TD>Result</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #161120">2</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>Data1</TD><TD></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #161120">3</TD><TD>54</TD><TD>Data2</TD><TD>1,42</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD><TD>Data4
Data1

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #161120">4</TD><TD>777</TD><TD>Data3</TD><TD>42,54,83</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD><TD>Data1
Data2
Data5

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #161120">5</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>Data4</TD><TD></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; COLOR: #161120">6</TD><TD>83</TD><TD>Data5</TD><TD>54</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"></TD><TD>Data2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Sheet1

Last edited:

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
No apologies necessary, GTO. Thanks for yet another alternative Rick, it works very well as well.

I will probably need to modify this slightly for some other very similar tasks, so I am fairly sure that I may find more than one of these options suitable for all of my needs. Also not sure yet how large the overall data set will grow, so speed could become an issue before all is done.

Thanks very much again to all, I'm very impressed and pleased with the quality and quickness of responses here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back