Partial Match Formula - Duplication check

Curioxity

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm looking to produce a simple (well I say simple, I've been playing with this for a while and just can't get it right) comparison workbook where I can copy/paste an extract from our own internal systems of company names and unique IDs in one sheet.

Then in another I'm entering details of companies that we're asked to add to the system to establish if they are already on by matching them against this extract so we can avoid duplication.

I tried running partial left matches that stop at spaces but that doesn't work well with companies that have words like 'The' in their name so I'm wondering if there's any way to add an 'exclusion' rule to match formulas?

Also once that match is run, I'd like it to pull the IDs from that initial database sheet and place them next to their respective match on the potential new companies list. I hope that makes sense.

I'd also like to add a form button to export that one sheet of comparison information to a new workbook that I can send off to others - although I think that might be the easiest part of all this.

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
@Curioxity, it sounds like you just need to add the asterisk wildcards to your MATCH lookup_value (i.e., "*"&lookup_value_cell_reference&"*"), and then set the match_type parameter to 0 (for exact).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back