Password Security a bit OTT ?

velohead

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have some spreadsheets that have a 'low strength' password because the the data is not in the realms of national security, but equally I would like to deter casual browsing.
If the password is broken at some point, than it is no big deal. At all.
I have a lot of spreadsheets with the same historical password, and a lot of authorised spreadsheet users that know the password. The password is quick to type as the files are used often.

However, when I try to save a new spreadsheet XL is not happy unless I provide a long cumbersome strong password, which in this situation is not required as per above comments.

How do I turn off the super_strenth_state_secret_s**t and just have a low strength casual password ?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
What version of Excel do you use and how are you applying the password? When I go to File, Info, Protect, Encrypt, it lets me use any password I want.

Upvote 0
Using Excel 365 - sorry, should have said.
Even when saving as .xls it still needs a strong password.

Create New File
Save as...
Tools (on bottom right of Save As)
General Options
Password to open

Resulting Message:
The password supplied does not meet the minimum complexity requirements

Upvote 0
That sounds more like a domain requirement rather than an Excel warning.

Upvote 0
I have no tools on the bottom right of Save As. Are you using the browser-based version?

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is relevant, but do you have a "sensitivity" button on the home tab?

Upvote 0
I have no tools on the bottom right of Save As. Are you using the browser-based version?
hehehe, I am so lazy and old school, that's partly why I love vba. My QAT is at capacity, I would love a second row.
I wont say how big my vba library in module one is, but it's big ! (That's were I 'file' my semi-frequently and often used macros)
To answer your question, when I save as, I just press the 'save as' button on my QAT. I've been doing that for the last 15 years so never go the long way round.

If I go the long way.....
File
save as
browse
now there are three items on bottom left corner....
Tools (drop down) + Save Button + Cancel Button.

Tools
General Options
Password to open.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is relevant, but do you have a "sensitivity" button on the home tab?

The sensitivity drop down (on home tab) is greyed out.

I've never heard of that before, or noticed it for that matter, but it is there at extreme right hand side.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back