Personal.XLSB Loads from one location - Saves to another

pdubz

A colleague of mine is currently having an issue with their Personal.XLSB file which is used to contain many macros that are frequently updated.

When they open Excel (2007) the Personal.XLSB file is loaded from the directory:
C:\Program Files\Miscrosoft Office\Office 12\XLSSTART and they can see their Macros.

However, if/when they update a macro, close Excel and save the changes to the Personal.XLSB file when prompted these changes are saved to a version of the file in the directory:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSSTART

So when they come to open Excel next the Personal.XSLB that's loaded is the one from Program Files and not the most up to date one from the AppData version of the file. Essentially, somehow, sometime recently these files 'branched' and it now means my colleague cannot save any updates to any Macros. I've tried deleting one and/or both of the existing Personal.XLSB files in various combinations and to get Excel to 'reset' somehow, but with no joy at all.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give to correct this so that the Personal.XSLB file loaded upon Excel startup is the same one that's saved to when closing Excel.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If you place it only in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART you shouldn't have a problem.

Upvote 0
thanks, but I have tried that. With the Personal.XLSB file only in the users/AppData location it is not loaded at all on Excel start.

If it's in both locations it's loaded from C:\Program Files, but saves in users/AppData.

If it's only in C:\Program Files it loads from there but when you come to save it, creates a new file in users/AppData.

Upvote 0
What does this return when typed in the Immediate window?

?Application.StartupPath

For me it's the expected default:

C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

The folder in Program Files is a hangover from Excel 2003.

Upvote 0
I suspect the appdata one has been disabled. Put the only copy into the user's appdata location and then load excel, and in the options, select the add-ins section and choose to manage disabled items. See if it's listed there and re-enable it.

Upvote 0
Thanks, got it. Done that and the path that's shown is:

C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

...as we would expect.

Upvote 0
I suspect the appdata one has been disabled. Put the only copy into the user's appdata location and then load excel, and in the options, select the add-ins section and choose to manage disabled items. See if it's listed there and re-enable it.

Aha! This solved the issue, very much appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back