Pivot table averages...

AhmedL

Hi,

I did originally post this question on the thread "Averages in Pivot Tables", but as that thread was last used in 2006, it seems my query may have been missed, so I am starting a new thread...just wanted to pre-empt a telling off from the moderators!

I am working with a database which uses a SQL query to return rows of data, which are then summarised into a pivot table. The data relates to attorney's timesheets, and the data is sorted in the pivot table into four layers:

1. Attorney Group
2. Attorney Name
3. Date
4. Client

The subsequent columns show how many hours were spent on different types of activities for those clients e.g. chargeable time, non-chargeable time, travelling time etc.

As I have mentioned, the source of the data is a SQL database, and even looking for just one day's data can result in 1,000+ rows. There are formulas used to manipulate the source data before the data is used to create the pivot tables and charts.

Most of the time, I need to sum the data per attorney, and then if necessary, drill down for a more detailed view by date/client, so the pivot table is perfect.

However, I also need to look at averages based on attorney groups. For example, how much client work does a partner do on average, or how much partner time is spent on management each day on average.

I therefore need to work out an average based on the calculated sum for each attorney - as the previous user mentioned, using the Average function in the table just gives me an average of ALL the data entries, which is meaning less as there could be five different entries for management time in one day, at various times in the day - all I am interested in is the total for the day.

Unfortunately, I am not advanced enough with SQL scripts to be able to manipulate the data at source, so that's a no-no.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you want, I can send a file with sample data attached...not sure how to get it on to here.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back