Pop- up alerts

Daniel673

I am creating an inventory of all materials at my job, and it will be separated into two tabs: Detailed and Simplified. All data going into simplified (which I want to designate as my master tab) will come from detailed (the origin tab).

First Issue:
How do I create a pop-up alert that appears when I am changing a cell's data, warning me to reflect that change in the simplified tab? (For example: the quantity of our laptops changed from 5 to 10. Alert reads: You have changed the content in B6. Please reflect such changes in the simplified inventory.) I want to apply this changing a cell's name from Laptops to Apple Laptops.

or...

Second Issue:
If the first issue cannot be done, than I want to do this - how to make automatic changes in my detailed inventory tab to the simplified tab. (For example: the name for Laptops in detailed inventory changed to Laptops, Dell XPS. This change is automatically done in simplified inventory.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Welcome to the board.

A couple of questions:

First issue - what is the range you are using on the Detailed sheet?

Second issue - (if my solution does not work for the first issue) - is the data in the same cells in both sheets? How should I know where to make the change on Simplified if I change a name on Detailed?

Upvote 0
Give this code a try:

Place the code in the Worksheet Object for the Detailed sheet.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:AZ")) Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "You have changed the content in " & wColNm(Target.Column) & Target.Row & "." & vbNewLine & "Please reflect such changes in Simplified Inventory.", vbExclamation
End If
End Sub

And this Function to convert double letter columns:
Code:
Public Function wColNm(ColNum)
    wColNm = Split(Cells(1, ColNum).Address, "$")(1)
End Function
This function courtesy of: http://access-excel.tips/convert-column-letter-to-column-number/.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

A couple of questions:

First issue - what is the range you are using on the Detailed sheet?

Second issue - (if my solution does not work for the first issue) - is the data in the same cells in both sheets? How should I know where to make the change on Simplified if I change a name on Detailed?

Thank you sir for the quick reply.
First Issue: The range on the detailed sheet will be B8:H210. Caveats however: I will only be using partial information from the detailed sheet to the simplified. In my detailed sheet, I have:
  1. item name
  2. description
  3. location
  4. purpose
  5. S#
  6. Qty
  7. Notes

Second Issue
: In my simplified sheet, I will only be using item name (Column B), Qty (Column G), and notes (column H) from the detailed tab. Any changes to those columns I want reflected on the detailed.

I know what Im asking for is quite complicated and difficult - I have spent quite some time trying to figure this out from youtube and asking others, but even they are stumped. If I am wrong in my approach, let me know.

Upvote 0
First Issue: The range on the detailed sheet will be B8:H210.
Give this code a try:

Place the code in the Worksheet Object for the Detailed sheet.
Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]B8:H210[/COLOR]")) Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "You have changed the content in " & wColNm(Target.Column) & Target.Row & "." & vbNewLine & "Please reflect such changes in Simplified Inventory.", vbExclamation
End If
End Sub

And this Function to convert double letter columns:
Code:
Public Function wColNm(ColNum)
    wColNm = Split(Cells(1, ColNum).Address, "$")(1)
End Function
This function courtesy of: Excel convert column letter to column number vise versa.

Try these bits of code and see if they do what you are looking for.

Edit: Actually just this code below as your range does not extend into double column letters (ie: AA,AB, etc):

Place this code in the Worksheet Object for Detailed tab.
Code:
 If Not Intersect(Target, Range("[COLOR=#ff0000]B8:H210[/COLOR]")) Is Nothing Then
     MsgBox "You have changed the content in " & Chr(Target.Column + 64) & Target.Row & "." & vbNewLine & "Please reflect such changes in Simplified Inventory.", vbExclamation
 End If
 End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back