Populating cells with Cascading Combobox Info: Not populating

j21chris

I realized I should have put Userform Combobox into the thread title. Sorry!

I'm new to VBA but not new to coding or to excel. I have used multiple google searches and youtube videos (You're welcome Alphabet) to build vba code that will copy a template worksheet, name the worksheet using an input box, and populate one cell in the new worksheet also using the inputbox method. I was also able to create a Userform containing a cascading combobox that works great...that is until I try to add the Userform data to cells in the newly created (copied from template) worksheet. I have searched high and low and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why it is not working. I feel confident it is my green VBA skills that is making this difficult for me to troubleshoot.

Could someone help me tackle this primary challenge? Again for clarity, I simply need to get my Userform (combobox & textbox) data from the Userfrom into various cells in the newly created worksheet, hopefully using the variable containing the new worksheet name. I have much work to do beyond that, but I'm trying to just eat this bite of the elephant.

Here is my Userform code:

Private Sub cmbLandUse_Cat_Change()

Me.cmbLandUse_Type = ""

Select Case Me.cmbLandUse_Cat
Case "Agricultural"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Agricultural"
Case "Business"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Business"
Case "Industrial"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Industrial"
Case "Lawn"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Lawn"
Case "Pasture"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Pasture"
Case "Residential"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Residential"
Case "Streets"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Streets"
Case "Woodland"
Me.cmbLandUse_Type.RowSource = "Woodland"
Case Else
'do nothing
End Select
End Sub

Private Sub cbAdd_Category_Click()
Dim ssheet As Worksheet

Set ssheet = ActiveSheet.Name

'place selection into cell
ssheet.Cells(1, 4).Value = Me.cmbLandUse_Cat
ssheet.Cells(2, 4).Value = Me.cmbLandUse_Type
ssheet.Cells(3, 4).Value = CInt(Me.txbxLand_Use_Area)

End Sub

Private Sub cbCancel_Click()

Unload Me

End Sub

I suspect the issue may be in where/how I am calling the userform and that someone helping to solve this would also need my primary module code so here is that as well:

Sub Create_New_Drng_Tab()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim newName As String
newName = Application.InputBox("Name of Drainage Area", "Drainage Area Name", Type:=2)
Dim OK_zone As Integer

' Drainage Area Name Input Dialog Box, if name repeated, exits sub. If cancel, exit sub
For rep = 1 To (Worksheets.Count)
If LCase(Sheets(rep).Name) = LCase(newName) Then
MsgBox "This drainage area name already exists."
Exit Sub
End If

If newName = "False" Then Exit Sub: Rem cancel pressed

Next

' Zone Input Dialog Box, if escape exit sub
OK_zone = Application.InputBox(vbNewLine & "Geographical Zone Number 1-5" _
& vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"See Figure 1-13, ODOT DDM Page 1-29", "Oklahoma Zone Identification", Type:=1)

Sheets("Template").Visible = True
Sheets("Template").Copy Before:=Sheets("Template")
ActiveSheet.Name = newName
'Sheets("Template").Visible = xlVeryHidden

' Insert Zone into OK Geographical Zone Cell
Range("M12").Value = OK_zone

usfrmLand_Use_Category.Show

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Thanks in advance!!

JD

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi JD, welcome here. Please if you post code, put the code between code tags (see my signature line in red) or use MrExcelHTML or similar (as I did here). That makes the code easier to read.

I think your problem is where you set the worksheet to the activesheet NAME instead of to the active sheet object. I have gone through your code and made some other light changes to make it more legible and easier to write.

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> cmbLandUse_Cat_Change()<br><br>    Me.cmbLandUse_Type = ""<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Me.cmbLandUse_Type<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> Me.cmbLandUse_Cat<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Agricultural"<br>                .RowSource = "Agricultural"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Business"<br>                .RowSource = "Business"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Industrial"<br>                .RowSource = "Industrial"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Lawn"<br>                .RowSource = "Lawn"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Pasture"<br>                .RowSource = "Pasture"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Residential"<br>                .RowSource = "Residential"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Streets"<br>                .RowSource = "Streets"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "Woodland"<br>                .RowSource = "Woodland"<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'do nothing</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> cbAdd_Category_Click()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsSheet <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsSheet = ActiveSheet       <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' >> not: Set wsSheet = ActiveSheet.Name</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> wsSheet<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'place selection into cell</SPAN><br>        .Cells(1, 4).Value = Me.cmbLandUse_Cat<br>        .Cells(2, 4).Value = Me.cmbLandUse_Type<br>        .Cells(3, 4).Value = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">CInt</SPAN>(Me.txbxLand_Use_Area)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsSheet = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> cbCancel_Click()<br><br>    Unload Me<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'I suspect the issue may be in where/how I am calling the userform and that someone helping to solve this would also need my primary module code so here is that as well:</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Create_New_Drng_Tab()<br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> newName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> OK_zone <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wsWS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br><br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <br>    <br>    newName = Application.InputBox("Name of Drainage Area", "Drainage Area Name", Type:=2)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> newName = "False" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> Sub: Rem cancel pressed<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Drainage Area Name Input Dialog Box, if name repeated, exits sub. If cancel, exit sub</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> wsWS <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Worksheets<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> LCase(wsWS.Name) = LCase(newName) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            MsgBox "This drainage area name already exists."<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> wsWS<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Zone Input Dialog Box, if escape exit sub</SPAN><br>    OK_zone = Application.InputBox(vbNewLine & "Geographical Zone Number 1-5" _<br>            & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _<br>            "See Figure 1-13, ODOT DDM Page 1-29", _<br>            "Oklahoma Zone Identification", Type:=1)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> OK_zone = "False" <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> Sub: Rem cancel pressed<br>    <br>    Sheets("Template").Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>    Sheets("Template").Copy Before:=Sheets("Template")<br>    ActiveSheet.Name = newName<br>    Sheets("Template").Visible = xlVeryHidden<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Insert Zone into OK Geographical Zone Cell</SPAN><br>    Range("M12").Value = OK_zone<br>    <br>    usfrmLand_Use_Category.Show<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wsWS = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smarti1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back