Possibly simple question regarding variable assignment and pivottables (VBA)

Goose306

Board Regular
Hi all,

The logic on this one is stumping me. Hoping someone can help me out, as I'm not quite following what the issue is here:
  • I'm building a pivot table from data using VBA. When adding a row field, if I am adding it based on a variable it fails, but if I add it explicit it is fine. Relevant code snippet giving me fits:

Code:
'Objects
Dim pvt As PivotTable
Dim cat1 As PivotField
Dim wowws As Worksheet

'Set objects
Set wowws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("WoW")
Set pvt = pvc.CreatePivotTable(wowws.Cells(1,1), "Data")
Set cat1 = pvt.PivotFields("Date2")

With pvt
  With .cat1
    .Orientation = xlRowField
    .Position = 1
  End With
End With

• The error occurs on the "With .cat1" line, stating "Object doesn't support property or method". However, I can Print cat1.Name, and it sends me back the pivotfield name, and if I were to replace .cat1 on that line with .PivotFields("Date2"), it chugs along happily.

• This is making me pull my hair out, as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this issue. I'm hoping I'm missing something super obvious here. (FYI: I do have to use a variable, cat1 is normally actually set via an IF statement for different options, this is how this one is set that is giving me fits.) I have also tried removing the Withs, as well (same result).

Excel 2013, 64-bit, for what it matters.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Well, solved it (sort-of):

If I remove the "With .pvt" with statement, and leave it as just "With cat1" - it will work. I'm still unclear why this is - if I don't assign it as a pivotfield variable, it works fine - something specifically about the nested with statements with two variable assignments is causing issues. If anyone is able to shed light on that, it would be beneficial, as there is certainly times I would prefer to use both.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back