Power Pivot - the basic question...

Bilingual

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, i have two files which has the same format but are to large to work with in a Excel file, Powerpivot should be my savior in this context.

But i can not create a relationship with the tables, because they contain Duplicate Values, is there a workaround when you have totaly similar data just based on two years?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Best option is to use Power Query to load the first table, set it to "create connection only". Do the same with the second table. Then join both queries together (append) and load the data as 1 table to Power Pivot.

Upvote 0
Best option is to use Power Query to load the first table, set it to "create connection only". Do the same with the second table. Then join both queries together (append) and load the data as 1 table to Power Pivot.

Thanks a lot, may i ask what are the disadvantages if i skip the Powerpivot leg and just use PowerQuery?

Upvote 0
You said they were too large to put in Excel, right? What will you do with the table if you can't put it in Excel and don't put it in Power Pivot?

Upvote 0
You said they were too large to put in Excel, right? What will you do with the table if you can't put it in Excel and don't put it in Power Pivot?

You are totally right, i thought that PowerQuery also compressed the data, but no.

Upvote 0
Correct - it doesn't. However if you are wanting to use a flat file Pivot table, you can load directly from power query into the pivot cache and compress on load. Just select existing connections when creating a pivot table and select the query

Upvote 0
A user shouldn't need the "Power Pivot" add-in, but use the same engine by way of the "Data Model" options in a regular version of Excel.
Having the Power Pivot add-in available is a huge bonus, but not necessary.
So from PowerQuery, Load to Data Model is almost as good as Load to Power Pivot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wayneho98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back