hananak

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear All,

Currently, I am getting the data from a folder and it has few fixed text data columns and then months column with numbers in them.

Every month I received the updated file which has the latest month data but my query does not pick the data for the new month and manually I have to adjust the code to include the new month data.

What I have observed is it has hard coded the months name.

Please see the picture, I have highlighted in yellow.

What I need is to automate the process, so when ever new month data column is available, the query should pick it up.

Your help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    100.3 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
@hananak: If you could copy and paste the actual code besides the picture that shows the indicated section, then it would be much more helpful to the helpers to help to solve the problem.

When you paste your code, please also select the entire code in the editor and click on the M BB Code button on the toolbar. This way the code snippet will be properly highlighted and also provides an easy way to copy it.

1690818086946.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@hananak: If you could copy and paste the actual code besides the picture that shows the indicated section, then it would be much more helpful to the helpers to help to solve the problem.

When you paste your code, please also select the entire code in the editor and click on the M BB Code button on the toolbar. This way the code snippet will be properly highlighted and also provides an easy way to copy it.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I turned on the BB Toggle code button and pasted the code below. I hope this is what you meant?

Power Query:
let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\user\Desktop\Tool"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Text.StartsWith([Name], "TA")),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File (2)", each #"Transform File (2)"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File (2)"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (2)", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File (2)"(#"Sample File (2)"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type any}, {"Column11", type any}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"TA.xlsx", type text}, {"L3 Name", type text}, {"L5 Name", type text}, {"L5 Acc", type text}, {"L6 Acc", type text}, {"L7 Acc", type text}, {"CC", type text}, {"CC Desc.", type text}, {"Acc", type text}, {"Acc Desc", type text}, {"Apr-23", type number}, {"May-23", type number}, {"Jun-23", type number}}),
    #"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Merged", each Text.Combine({[L6 Acc], "-", [CC], "-", [Acc]}), type text),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column",{{"Merged", "GL"}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Apr-23", "May-23", "Jun-23", "GL"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"GL", "Apr-23", "May-23", "Jun-23"}),
    OldColNames = List.Skip (Table.ColumnNames(#"Reordered Columns"),1),
    NewColNames = List.Transform ({1.. List.Count (OldColNames) }, ( n) => "M"& Text.From (n ) & "A"),
    FromTo = List.Zip ({OldColNames,NewColNames}),
    NewNamesCol = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns", FromTo),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({NewNamesCol, Table4})
in
    #"Appended Query"

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks. I edited your post to apply the BB code to make it looks like the above.

So, what you are doing is, say for Jul 2023, applying the following manual changes to add the July columns. Could you please confirm?

First edit:
Rich (BB code):
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{
    {"TA.xlsx", type text}, {"L3 Name", type text}, {"L5 Name", type text}, {"L5 Acc", type text}, {"L6 Acc", type text}, {"L7 Acc", type text}, {"CC", type text}, 
    {"CC Desc.", type text}, {"Acc", type text}, {"Acc Desc", type text}, 
    {"Apr-23", type number}, {"May-23", type number}, {"Jun-23", type number}, {"Jul-23", type number}}),

Second edit:
Rich (BB code):
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Apr-23", "May-23", "Jun-23", "Jul-23", "GL"}),

Third edit:
Rich (BB code):
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"GL", "Apr-23", "May-23", "Jun-23", "Jul-23"}),

Upvote 0
Thanks. I edited your post to apply the BB code to make it looks like the above.

So, what you are doing is, say for Jul 2023, applying the following manual changes to add the July columns. Could you please confirm?

First edit:
Rich (BB code):
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{
    {"TA.xlsx", type text}, {"L3 Name", type text}, {"L5 Name", type text}, {"L5 Acc", type text}, {"L6 Acc", type text}, {"L7 Acc", type text}, {"CC", type text}, 
    {"CC Desc.", type text}, {"Acc", type text}, {"Acc Desc", type text}, 
    {"Apr-23", type number}, {"May-23", type number}, {"Jun-23", type number}, {"Jul-23", type number}}),

Second edit:
Rich (BB code):
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Apr-23", "May-23", "Jun-23", "Jul-23", "GL"}),

Third edit:
Rich (BB code):
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"GL", "Apr-23", "May-23", "Jun-23", "Jul-23"}),

Thank you for applying the BB code. I was not sure exactly how to do it.

Yes, currently, I follow the above approach to add new months. I really need to automate this process.

Upvote 0
Hard to deal with the code without data and not being able to testing, but here is what should be done. You said fixed text data and it looks like the first 10 columns, then month columns, which will be added more months at each update. So, we can dynamically set the necessary parts as shown below. I will use your original code, remove the part from the middle, and put the part I modified.

Power Query:
let
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Text.StartsWith([Name], "TA")),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File (2)", each #"Transform File (2)"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File (2)"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (2)", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File (2)"(#"Sample File (2)"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type text}, {"Column9", type text}, {"Column10", type any}, {"Column11", type any}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

/* Modification start here */
    MonthColumns = List.RemoveFirstN(Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"), 10),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"TA.xlsx", type text}, {"L3 Name", type text}, {"L5 Name", type text}, {"L5 Acc", type text}, {"L6 Acc", type text}, {"L7 Acc", type text}, {"CC", type text}, {"CC Desc.", type text}, {"Acc", type text}, {"Acc Desc", type text}} & List.Transform(MonthColumns, each {_, type number})),

#"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Merged", each Text.Combine({[L6 Acc], "-", [CC], "-", [Acc]}), type text),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column",{{"Merged", "GL"}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns", MonthColumns & {"GL"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"GL"} & MonthColumns),
    /* Modification ends here */

NewColNames = List.Transform ({1.. List.Count (OldColNames) }, ( n) => "M"& Text.From (n ) & "A"),
in
    #"Appended Query"

Ideally, I would also change the #"Changed Type" step to make it dynamic, because even the current code doesn't change all columns as you probably didn't update that part to include the last month. However, again, I don't have a chance to test any of these, so I would first try the first code above, and then give this one a chance to see if it works as you need.

Power Query:
let
    ColumnNames = Table.ColumnNames(#"Expanded Table Column1"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",
        List.Transform(List.RemoveLastN(ColumnNames, List.Count(ColumnNames) - 10), each {_, type text}) & 
        List.Transform(List.RemoveFirstN(ColumnNames, 10), each {_, type any})),

MonthColumns = List.RemoveFirstN(Table.ColumnNames(#"Promoted Headers"), 10),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"TA.xlsx", type text}, {"L3 Name", type text}, {"L5 Name", type text}, {"L5 Acc", type text}, {"L6 Acc", type text}, {"L7 Acc", type text}, {"CC", type text}, {"CC Desc.", type text}, {"Acc", type text}, {"Acc Desc", type text}} & List.Transform(MonthColumns, each {_, type number})),

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns", MonthColumns & {"GL"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"GL"} & MonthColumns),

NewColNames = List.Transform ({1.. List.Count (OldColNames) }, (n)=> "M"& Text.From (n) & "A"),
in
    #"Appended Query"

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Smozgur,

Thank you very much for providing codes. I have tried them and both are working correctly and giving me the desired results.

Would you be able to confirm, which one is more better to use though both are working. Please let me know your preference.

Many Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi Smozgur,

Thank you very much for providing codes. I have tried them and both are working correctly and giving me the desired results.

Would you be able to confirm, which one is more better to use though both are working. Please let me know your preference.

Many Thanks.
You're welcome.

The second one is better because it also changes types dynamically including the new columns that will be added each month.

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

The second one is better because it also changes types dynamically including the new columns that will be added each month.

Perfect. Thank you very much again :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back