Power View: Pie Charts with Various Percentages of the Slice Highlighted

AshleyAM

Hello all,

I'm using Excel 2013 with Power View and Power Pivot add-ins.

I need to construct a pie chart in which various portions of each slice are highlighted in the graphic. See example at the top of this Microsoft support page

I have four columns of data

1. Stakeholder names

1. Subset names (this data would fit under the stakeholder names in a parent/child hierarchy)

1. Numbers which represent the total number of people in each subset

1. Numbers which represent the number of people reached, which is some percentage of the total number of people in each subset (note that each specific number will be reflect a different percentage of the corresponding total number for the subset – i.e. there’s not a standard percentage, it’s different for each entry)

See sample data below:

Stakeholder Names
Subset Names
Total Number
Number Reached
Media
International
Media
Domestic
Internal
Employees
Internal
Management

<tbody>
</tbody>

From this data, I want to create a pie chart that reflects the total number of people by stakeholder name, with slices within the colors which represent the total number in each subset. (Basically everything you see in the non-highlighted section of the graphic that's shown in the link above.) I’ve accomplished this step in Power View – using the first three columns listed above.

However, now, I want to add another element to the chart in which the number reached in each subset is highlighted in the corresponding slice of the pie. To accomplish this, as I understand it, I need to create another chart and cross filter the two. I’ve tried creating a bar chart with various combinations of the data above, but when I click the relevant areas in the bar chart, all of the related subset slice appears highlighted in the pie chart. As opposed to only the portion of the slice that corresponds to the related percentage.

I’m guessing that some sort of relationship needs to be formed between these elements to get the bar chart to highlight only the related percentage, as opposed to the entire subset slice, but after much trial and error I can’t seem to figure out what that data relationship needs to consist of. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back