Powerpivot on SharePoint Online - how to handle external data refresh

jeffreyweir

Board Regular
Howdy. I've just started playing around with PowerPivot, and am looking to see if it is a suitable vehicle for delivering secure interactive reports to external clients via SharePoint Online. So I signed up for a test sharepoint online account, whipped up my first PowerPivot dashboard with some sliders in it (using some .txt files as data sources) and uploaded it to my test SharePoint Online site.

But of course, when I try to use the sliders, the pivot tries to refresh, and then I get an error message "the data connection uses windows authentication and user credentials could not be delegated."

So I'm wondering whether powerpivot via sharepoint allows you to link in to external data sources, or whether all the data be within the powerpivot file itself as linked tables. IF linked tables, then Sharepoint Online ain't going to cut it, because it won't run big files via a web browser. (My sample file was 15MB, although I could no doubt strip out a lot of that).

Anyone played around with Sharepoint Online and PowerPivot together yet? Anyone know the file size limit if you want your file to be available via a browser?

I realise that PowerPivotPro have a PowerPivot Cloud option that I could use, but I'm a startup with just one test customer at present, so the $500 per month for their basic plan is beyond me at the moment. Which is why I was looking at SharePoint, which has a $20 Per user/month option. My hope was that I could pay $20 per customer login, essentially. Whether or not this fits within the terms of use of SharePoint Online I have no idea...

note I also posted this at http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/show...xternal-data-refresh&p=4599&posted=1#post4599 and someone there suggested I try here, given Rob Collie spends so much time lurking around here ;)

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back