Prevent SUMPRODUCT from updating cells.

McBOeric

Hello,

I have this line of code that sort of works:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((DB!$J$4:DB!$J$161+DB!$K$4:DB!$K$161+DB!$L$4:DB!$L$161+DB!$M$4:DB!$M$161+DB!$N$4:DB!$N$161+DB!$O$4:DB!$O$161+DB!$P$4:DB!$P$161+DB!$Q$4:DB!$Q$161+DB!$R$4:DB!$R$161)*(DB!$H$4:DB!$H$161=DB!$AB$1:DB!$BW$1)*(DB!$B$4:DB!$B$161=A4))

The problem I am facing is that the workbook is constantly being updated with new lines getting inserted and 4 will change to a 5, then a 6, etc and make the value that is calculated wrong because it is not including from the 4th cell.

Is there any easy way to lock the formula so that it doesn't change when new lines are inserted?
I have looked at the INDIRECT function, but I can't seem to get that to work.

Here is a breakdown of what the formula does.

Rows J - R contain values that need to be added together if they match the day and they are not on the excluded list.
Row H contains sizes (eg 150x25) that need to be excluded if they match the values in AB1-BW1.
Row B contains the day that is matched with A4 being 3rd, A5 being the 4th etc.

Any information that you could provide to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Luke.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
See if this works:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT("db!$J$4:$J$161")+INDIRECT("db!$K$4:$K$161")+INDIRECT("db!$L$4:$L$161")+INDIRECT("db!$M$4:$M$161")+INDIRECT("db!$N$4:$N$161")+INDIRECT("db!$O$4:$O$161")+INDIRECT("db!$P$4:$P$161")+INDIRECT("db!$Q$4:$Q$161")+INDIRECT("db!$R$4:$R$161"))*(INDIRECT("db!$H$4:$H$161")=INDIRECT("db!$AB$1:$BW$1")*(INDIRECT("db!$B$4:$B$161")=INDIRECT("A4"))))

Upvote 0
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((INDIRECT("db!$J$4:$J$161")+INDIRECT("db!$K$4:$K$161")+INDIRECT("db!$L$4:$L$161")+INDIRECT("db!$M$4:$M$161")+INDIRECT("db!$N$4:$N$161")+INDIRECT("db!$O$4:$O$161")+INDIRECT("db!$P$4:$P$161")+INDIRECT("db!$Q$4:$Q$161")+INDIRECT("db!$R$4:$R$161"))*(INDIRECT("db!$H$4:$H$161")=INDIRECT("db!$AB$1:$BW$1")*(INDIRECT("db!$B$4:$B$161")=INDIRECT("A4"))))
[/QUOTE]

The first part of the formula works perfectly, but the second part will cause an #VALUE! or #N/A error.
This second part is causing the issue:
Code:
*(INDIRECT("db!$H$4:$H$161")=INDIRECT("db!$AB$1:$BW$1")*(INDIRECT("db!$B$4:$B$161")=INDIRECT("A4")))

Only the 4-161 cells need to be indirect, the AB1-BW1 and A4 cells do not change or move.

I have tried to tweak the formatting with no luck.

Thanks,
Luke.

Upvote 0
I did not get that error. On mine, it gave 0 because I only had blank sheets.

Only the 4-161 cells need to be indirect, the AB1-BW1 and A4 cells do not change or move.
Not sure what you mean. Indirect is used so AB1:BW1 and A4 do not change.

Upvote 0
I finally managed to figure the issue out.

It turns out that a single missing ) was causing all the problems here:
Code:
(INDIRECT("db!$H$4:$H$161")=INDIRECT("db!$AB$1:$BW$1")

I just had to add another ) to the end to get it all working properly.

Many thanks for the solution, it is working perfectly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morpheous

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back