Probability after Loss in a row

jamesmoreno

Hey guys,

I have a spreadsheet with the past frequency of losses in a row before having a winner. What formula can I use to calculate the probability of having a winner after 1,2,3(etc) losses in a row according do this data?

Thanks, appreciate the help!

Attachments

• freq lr.JPG
    freq lr.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 27

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
If the events are independent (like tossing a coin, rolling a die, or winning a lottery) the history does not predict the future.

Upvote 0
If the events are independent (like tossing a coin, rolling a die, or winning a lottery) the history does not predict the future.
Thanks for your reply. I know in that case of coin toss, it's independent, and you can encounter 30 losses in a row or more, even though in history it never happen.
But according to past data, I wanted to know what is the probability of said event, even if it's not accurate prediction. Can you help?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum!

You've left out the count for zero previous losses.

If these are independent trials with equal probability of success, what you've posted (so far) is consistent with the distribution you'd expect for individual success rate ~80%

ABCDEF
1p80%
3Previous
4lossesExpectedActual
5080.0%???
6116.0%80.0%48780.9%
723.2%16.0%8914.8%
830.6%3.2%213.5%
940.1%0.6%30.5%
1050.0%0.1%20.3%
1160.0%0.0%00.0%
1270.0%0.0%00.0%
1380.0%0.0%00.0%
1490.0%
15100.0%
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D6:D13D6=B6/SUM(B$6:B$13)
F6:F13F6=E6/SUM(E$6:E$13)
B5B5=p
B6:B15B6=p*(1-p)^A6
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
p=Sheet1!$B$1B5:B15

Upvote 0
If the distribution in #5 is correct (i.e. if p is 80%, and trials are independent) then in an unbounded sample space, you expect
- 80% of wins to follow an immediately previous win
- 16% of wins to follow a single loss
- 3.2% of wins to follow a run of two losses
etc.

I suspect you're still looking for an answer to your original question, which might be phrased: I've experienced N losses in a row. What is my chance of a win next time?

The answer to that question is p, regardless of the value of N (as @shg said in post #2).

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum!

You've left out the count for zero previous losses.

If these are independent trials with equal probability of success, what you've posted (so far) is consistent with the distribution you'd expect for individual success rate ~80%

ABCDEF
1p80%
3Previous
4lossesExpectedActual
5080.0%???
6116.0%80.0%48780.9%
723.2%16.0%8914.8%
830.6%3.2%213.5%
940.1%0.6%30.5%
1050.0%0.1%20.3%
1160.0%0.0%00.0%
1270.0%0.0%00.0%
1380.0%0.0%00.0%
1490.0%
15100.0%
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D6:D13D6=B6/SUM(B$6:B$13)
F6:F13F6=E6/SUM(E$6:E$13)
B5B5=p
B6:B15B6=p*(1-p)^A6
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
p=Sheet1!$B$1B5:B15
Hey, thanks for your reply! I left out the count for zero previous losses, because I have them in a separate table. I have one table for Loss in a row frequency, and another for Wins in a row frequency, I updated the spreadsheet image.

What I'm looking to do, is according to this data, see what is the probability of having a winner after 1 loss in a row (one iteration fails, before the next one wins), or 2 losses in a row (2 iterations fail, before 1 wins).

Maybe with the data displayed like that it can't be done? What if I setup the data differently as in Image nº 2?

In image 2, "Win Row" represents we have 3 wins in a row, before having 1 loss, and "Loss Row" represents we have 1 loss before a winner. It could be 2 loss in a row, etc.

So in this second example, the probability of having a winner, after 1 loss in a row, is 100%. (This shouldn't be used for predicting the future, only analyze the past data). How can I do this with a formula and larger sample size?

Thanks for taking the time

Attachments

• freq lr + wr.JPG
    freq lr + wr.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
If the distribution in #5 is correct (i.e. if p is 80%, and trials are independent) then in an unbounded sample space, you expect
etc.

I suspect you're still looking for an answer to your original question, which might be phrased: I've experienced N losses in a row. What is my chance of a win next time?

The answer to that question is p, regardless of the value of N (as @shg said in post #2).
Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply!

I updated another reply with different spreadsheets, one that includes the winners, if you could kindly see it :)

I am not very good at math, or statistics, or excel. So bare with me please!

Upvote 0
etc.

Yes, I was looking for a answer for this I've experienced N losses in a row. What is my chance of a win next time? and also reverse it, I've experienced N winners in a row. What is my chance of a loss next time?

I know this can't be used to predict the future though. I just wanted to analyze past data, to see what happened in the past. After N losses, (say 2 losses), how many times we went for a 3rd Loss, or for a winner?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back