Problem E-Mailing XLT/XLS Files

kev8279

Wonder if anyone can help as this is driving me crazy. We have a template XLT which is saved on a network drive for staff to open and send the form for team changes. When you open the XLT it opens the template as an XLS file as it should, all ok so far.

The problem arises when the form is then sent on by e-mail. When to go to File>Sent To>Mail Recipient (as attachment) the temp file is saved in a 51 file format and not standard XLS. This is also the same using the mail macro button which is on the form. If you send the template file itself it is fine.

Can anyone help with this?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I can't reproduce that behaviour in Excel 2003. A workbook opened from a template by selecting File|New is sent as an xls file (with a new name) when EMailed as an attachment.

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew, think maybe you misunderstood the problem.

I am opening the template (Team Change.XLT) which is opening as Team Change1 in excel, however when I attach to an email it is attaching as an unknown format. I have saved the file to my desktop and it says the file format is 51 Format. Not sure why this is not attaching as Team Change1.xls

Upvote 0
For me in Excel 2003 it is mailed as Team Change1.xls and the file format is xlWorkbookNormal (-4143). Your mentioning file format 51 implies that you have Excel 2007 - that's xlOpenXMLWorkbook (xlsx).

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew, I am using Excel 2003 aswell. I have even re-tried changing saving the template as a new name and still no joy.

Upvote 0
What I could add is that this file may well have been amended in Excel 2007 and saved in the format of 97-2003 template. Not sure if this will affect some code somewhere but don't know where to start looking to fix it

Upvote 0
For me in Excel 2003 the workbook is attached as an xls (type -4143), whether the template was xls or xltx. It can only be type 51 if the extension is xlsx. Sorry, I can't reproduce your problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronnyf85

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back