Problem with Linked Workbooks After Conversion to Excel 2007

au2010

Situation:

I have a number of .xls files that function as "source" files, meaning that I use them to store various kinds of data. The data are used by many different "report" files (also .xls) by means of links between workbooks. For example, I have several different kinds of "sales report" files that all link to the same "sales data" source file. Or, for another example, I have a "product profitability report" that links to both the "sales data" source file and to a separate "production cost data" source file.

Problem:
Now that I have converted from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007, I want to be able to save all my files as .xlsx files. However, if I save one of the "source" files as .xlsx, then none of the "report" files that use that source file will work anymore, because they all still link to the old .xls version of the source file.

My Question:
Is there any solution to this problem other than to manually open up all the "report" files and start updating the links? I have at least 100 report files that link to the source files - and some of them link to several different source files, so to do this manually would mean updating hundreds of links by hand. Not completely impossible, but it's a tedious and time-consuming task that I'd rather avoid if I can.

Thanks.

PS: 2003-to-2007 conversion issues are probably old news, so apologies if this is an old topic that has been covered elsewhere already, but before I made this post I did several searches on this forum and on google and didn't turn up anything useful.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back