Problems with a contiguous, non-dynamic named range and COUNTIF

Montetrebol

Hi!

I was trying to use COUNTIF in a named range as it's explained here: Excel Magic Trick 185 Dynamic Formula Extract Data 1criteria - YouTube, but I receive a non descriptive error message as mentioned here: Ctrl + Shift + Enter: Excel Array Formulas 12: SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, SUMIF, COUNTIF, AVERAGEIF - YouTube. I even dowloaded the file used in the first video (http://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/YouTubeExcelIsFun/EMT185-202Finished.xls) and the formula works, but if I click on the cell with the COUNTIF, without even changing it, I get the error message.SUM() works just fine with the named range.

Based on these videos I seems to me as if Excel is forcing the "evaluation" of the named range and passing it to COUNTIF as an array

¿Could it be some obscure configuration setting that got changed somehow?

¿Could it be some plugin? I have 4 listed as active: ExcelToDBF, MySQL for Excel, NatSpeak Excel AddIn and Send to Bluetooth, but I don't know how to disactivate them in order to test if they are messing things up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot,

J.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Additional information:

If I define the range as usual, and the criteria as a reference to a single-cell named range (i.e. "year",=COUNTIF($A1:$A20,year)) it works just fine! The problem happens if the named range has multiple cells.

Thanks,

J.

Upvote 0
Additional information:

If I define the range as usual, and the criteria as a reference to a single-cell named range (i.e. "year",=COUNTIF($A1:$A20,year)) it works just fine! The problem happens if the named range has multiple cells.

Thanks,

J.

Care to post the formula and the cells the named range consists of?

Upvote 0
Additional information:

Thanks,

J.

Not sure if i understand what you need.

See if this helps

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF($A1:$A20,year))

M.

Upvote 0
I defined a simple range NumsToCount on A1:A5 with values 1,2,3,2,1. Then I defined the named range Two as cell A2. =COUNTIF(A1:A5,A2) works, =COUNTIF(A1:A5,Two) works, but =COUNTIF(NumsToCount,A2) does not work.

I should clarify that my excel is in spanish so the formulas actually look like this: =CONTAR.SI(A1:A5|A2), =CONTAR.SI(A1:A5|Two), =CONTAR.SI(NumsToCount|A2).

Upvote 0
I defined a simple range NumsToCount on A1:A5 with values 1,2,3,2,1. Then I defined the named range Two as cell A2. =COUNTIF(A1:A5,A2) works, =COUNTIF(A1:A5,Two) works, but =COUNTIF(NumsToCount,A2) does not work.

I should clarify that my excel is in spanish so the formulas actually look like this: =CONTAR.SI(A1:A5|A2), =CONTAR.SI(A1:A5|Two), =CONTAR.SI(NumsToCount|A2).

What is in A1 exactly?
And what is in A2?

Upvote 0
FOUND THE PROBLEM!: I had changed the list separator from "," to "|" in the regional format configuration. I changed it back to "," and it works now, for some reason COUNTIF only likes "," as a list separator.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
A1 is the number 1, A2=2, A3=3, A4=2, and A5=1.

=COUNTIF(A1:A5,A1)

==> 2

If you name A2 as Two (using the Name Manager or the Name Box)...

=COUNTIF(A1:A5,A2)

==> 2

If you name A1:A5 as NumsToCount...

=COUNTIF(NumsToCount,A1)

==> 2

=COUNTIF(NumsToCount,Two)

==> 2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back