Problems with Area Graph

UnExcel

Hello there,
I am trying to plot two different data sets on an area graph. Both data sets have an x axis that include months. However, while one set of data would graph correctly (i.e correct y point for particular x point), the other data set seems to be shifting on the graph (i.e. wrong y data for that particular x point). I am not sure why this is happening. Please let me know if anyone has experienced this problem before. As an aside, graphing these data points on a line graph yield the correct picture. Perhaps this isn't possible on an area graph-- i find that hard to believe!
Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi, welcome to the board. Are you using a stacked area chart ? Maybe you want a simple area chart instead.

Upvote 0
Hi Gerald, thanks for the response! No, I am not using the stacked area graph at all. I tried two ways to get the area graphs to plot correctly. The first is plotting using the first area graph option which should just plot data in a straight forward manner-- x for months, y for data value at time x. The second thing I tried was to plot the graph in a line graph first-- this showed up correctly--- however when I changed the graph option thereafter, it goes back to plotting all over the place. As an example, the last data point reflected on the graph is for Feb-06-- but the data source is ordered from Jan06-Apr11. On top of that, on the graph that particular Feb 06 data point is reflecting a different value than the amount for that date from my data source people.
I am at a lost. Is my excel possesed by demons?

Upvote 0
In an area chart, all series use the X values for the first series. This is the case with line charts as well.

You may need to insert interpolated values for each series for the dates that only the other series has data. A line chart will interpolate properly, but an area chart treats the missing in-between values as zeros.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back