Process of Elimination using criteria

DAD

Board Regular
Hi All,

I am trying to find a result by search multiple columns of a table. For example, see the table below. I wish to search the employees and firstly find the youngest employee (Col C). If there are multiple employees with the same age, I then seek to further narrow those employees with the youngest age to find the one with the highest salary (Col D). If multiple employees have the same age and same salary, I seek to differentiate those employees based on their seniority date, with the most senior (earliest joint date) being the decider.

In this example, Mike, Pete and Steve have the same age, so I compare their salaries, Pete is eliminated as his salary is lower than Mike and Steve. But as Mike and Steve share the same age, and the same salary, I look at their seniority date, and as Mike joined first, he is the winner.

I have tried numerous methods but can't seem to get it to work. I can't use VBA or macros for this spreadsheet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2kg08o.jpg

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
So why not use a Custom sort.....it's on the editing tab under sort and filter.
You can sort by each level as you have described

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Custom Sort does not work as I need the list to update dynamically as the list changes. Well at least I think that is how the sort function works. If it does update dynamically, I would be most interested to hear how to do that.

Upvote 0
To update a sort function automatically, you would need to use VBA !

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,

Ah, I feared as much. As this will be deployed on iPad, I am unable to use VBA or Macro.

Thanks for your help anyway

Upvote 0
Hmm... the joys of being an Apple owner...:wink:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back