Pulling data from once Workbook into another Workbook

zendog1960

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook called Employees. This workbook contains the names, addresses and contact information for my survey field crew members. This is a workbook that will be updated as more people are hired.

I have a workbook called Crew Schedule. This is used to schedule crews to specific tasks for the day.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

In the Crew Schedule workbook in Column A is where I put in the Crew Names. Since I do not want to type this information in or spend the time updating both the Employees workbook and the crew schedule everytime a new employee is hired, I want to use the employee workbook to automatically update the crew schedule with the current names in the Employee workbook. I would then create a data validation list of those names to be used in Cell A6.

Here is the Schedule Sheet:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Master.xls
ABCD
5CREWJOB #Job NameTask Description
Sheet1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In A6, I want to use a validation list based on the following, which is the employee workbook:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Survey-Employees.xls
ABCD
1Employee Name
3Frank Burns
4Hot Lips Hoolihan
5Radar
6Spongebob Squarepants
7Bugs Bunny
Sheet1

Can anyone help me get this to work? What I would like is that when the Crew Schedule is opened, it looks at the Employee workbook and updates the names in the Crew Schedule workbook. It would be extremely nice if this could be done so the end user does not see it happen. What I mean to say is that I don't want the employees workbook to open up on their desktop but rather have this operation be hidden from the user.

I know this is a bit complicated so if it would be better to contact me just let me know and I will send out my contact info . I would rather try and get this done through the board so I can learn this because I have other things of similar nature I would like to try but this is the first step..

Thank you in advance for your help in this problem.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Does anyone have any suggestions at all or is this even possible?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back