Pulling Data from Two Other Sheets to Calculate Cost of Goods Sold

madmoneymike5

My question is rather complicated to explain via typing it out. If I could do a bit of show-and-tell then the answer I receive will likely I be more accurate and result in less back-and-forth trying to clarify things. So it is in that spirit that I took the time to create a short video that does just that, and I ask that you watch it to get a better understanding of what it is I'm trying to accomplish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G995_5QzNcE

The short text version: I need to search through a sheet with sales data on it and cross reference that to a sheet with costs of goods, then tabulate those together to determine how much (in terms of cost) inventory was sold in the sheet with sales data. There are some nuances though because the sales data doesn't have just one line per order; it sometimes has multiple lines per order that are not inventory related. See the video for a better explanation.

Thanks!

Mike

P.S. I promise it's nothing obscene, spam, or anything of the like. It truly is a "video question."

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Thanks Sandy.

I see it working in the online version but when I download it, your table goes away. I suspect that's because until today I had never heard of PowerQuery and of course, don't have it. Is this a free or paid add-in to Excel? I can't seem to figure out how to download it.

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0
You've PowerQuery, it's Get&Transform.
Look at your ribbon :)

g-t.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, sure do!

I've never used it. Would you mind walking me through the steps to create this query? I don't know where to even begin...

Upvote 0
First you need to use Show Queries (or something similar - maybe Queries and Connections) which allow you to see Workbook Queries (Tables loaded into PowerQuery from Excel sheet(s)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back