Query Refresh in VBA - is taking so long that the copy/paste after it copies old data

Domroy

Board Regular
Building a macro that will refresh a query (with existing extension), take the results (anywhere from 50,000-100,000 lines), and copy to a different spreadsheet.

The macro works, but the query refresh takes so long that the macro moves on without waiting for it to finish. Is there a way to write in a "pause" or "wait for previous step to complete before moving on" step? Or do I just have to teach the person how to refresh the query and then run the macro?

Thank you!

Judi

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
hello, Judi

if you have queries in the worksheet - not ADO or similar - have a look at BackGroundQuery property. Set it to false.

Unchecked, like this: referencetoyourqueryobject.backgroundquery:=false
or referencetoyourqueryobject refresh backgroundquery:=false
VBA help via object browser should get you the info

regards

Upvote 0
Thank you. That makes sense. Other thing - with programming it to wait, didn't work. I'll try this next and let you know.

Upvote 0
Maybe there is a manual (worksheet interface) way to set the background refresh?

Otherwise it would help if details are given. There are so many ways to setup & refresh queries (and it varies by Excel version), write VBA, etc.

Upvote 0
Hello, Judy.
Any details - such as previously listed. How the queries are setup & refresh, the Excel version, the VBA, etc.
Are the queries themselves in Excel? If they are on a worksheet, do they need to be? Are recordsets being used - if not, have you tried using them as an alternative.
Depending on what is needed, maybe the query refresh can be done differently - such as on file open.
There are many different ways to do this sort of thing & without knowing any details I can't help. I hope someone else can.
All the best, Fazza

Upvote 0
Office 365. Query is set up using get and transform, and there's a data connection to a .txt file. I had tried refresh on open, but the file is so massive, it sometimes crashed the doc on open. I'm not familiar with recordsets, so I haven't used them, no. You want to see the whole code?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back