Radio Buttons and dynamic data / searching for a method to make it 'non-dynamic'

DLB20720

Board Regular
I have a worksheet with 4 separate tables, each with 20 rows of data. In each of the tables, I have 1 column for stock symbols, so 80 symbols total. The data comes into these columns via a live stock market feed so it is dynamic; the symbols move up and down the columns based on formulas from other areas of my worksheet.

Below these 4 tables I have 1 single row for additional stock metrics. On my old static list (of 20 symbols) I used Data Validation and a drop down list (of the range of 20 symbols) to select one of the stocks to enter in the left most cell of the row. I then have INDEX/MATCH formulas to pull in the additional stock metrics based on the cell change. Even if I deleted one of the stock symbols from the range of 20 above, that symbol remains in the first cell of the single row.

Now that I have 80 stocks and the info is dynamic, I know the Data Validation method won't work. I thought I could use Radio Buttons and get them to work through formulas, but since the data is dynamic, the symbol in the single row changes whenever the data the Radio Button corresponds to. I've tried quite a few variations using formulas and can't find anything that works.

I use MS Access and the 'Change Event' in that is easy to modify but I've searched and can't find a way to modify this behavior of my Radio Buttons in Excel. I'm probably the 'Worlds Worst' at VBA anyway.

Then I tried using a macro to simply copy and paste the symbol selected by the Radio Button into that left cell in the single row but still can't get that to work. Overall, I think using a macro might be the best way but I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some advice. Thanks to anyone that can!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I found a method that allowed me to get around the dynamic nature of the data my 80 Radio Buttons refer to and wanted to post my solution in the event someone else may have a similar problem in the future and need a solution. My solution is rather awkward and I had to write 80 macros to accomplish this, but it works. Someone who is better at writing code (that would be anyone on the planet) could probably do this in one step, but this was the best I could do given my limited knowledge of code and macros.

What I did to override the dynamic nature of the data the Radio Buttons refer to is write a simple 'copy and paste' macro (assigned to each individual Radio Button) that grabs the target data and pastes it into the intended cell. It's clunky, but it works.

After I managed to do this with one Radio Button, I searched for a way to command all 80 buttons to do the same task, but could not figure out a way to do this. The data all 80 Radio Buttons referred to all had the exact same offset (rows 0, columns -5) and the same target cell (C27) for the paste and I'm guessing that one macro could be written to accomplish this, but again, it is beyond my abilities.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back