RAG Status, please help

Kimlou

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
So, I'm not great on excel. But i need to create a rag status based on start date (column E6), estimated completion daye (column G6) and actual completion dates (column H6). I want the rag status column (I6) to be blank when there is nothing filled out, green when the actual completion date is within the estimate, amber when the actual completion date is soon becoming due and red when the date has been exceeded. I have been trying to do this now for 2 days, to no avail using IF and conditional formatting. Can anyone please help me? Thank you

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
green when the actual completion date is within the estimate, amber when the actual completion date is soon becoming due and red when the date has been exceeded.
I think you will need to provide some guideline numbers for the criteria before anyone can provide any solution.

Upvote 0
I think you will need to provide some guideline numbers for the criteria before anyone can provide any solution.
Hi,
It can literally be any dates at all. I did try to add a picture, but it won't let me for some reason.
So let's say the start date is 01/02/2020, estimated completion date is 15/02/2020 and the actual completion date is 16/02/2020 or after, I would want the rag status to show as red.

If the actual completion date was 14/02/2020 or before, I would want it to show as green.

If the actual completion date wasn't yet filled out, but it is coming due soon, then I would want it to show as amber.

But I want it to show like this for any dates that I put in.

Hopefully this explains it a bit better. Thank you

Upvote 0
coming due soon
The explanation in the original post was fine but we can't really provide an answer unless you define phases like the above. Is "soon" a day, 3 days, a week, a year? See what I mean? and it is the same with "date is within the estimate".

Upvote 0
20200221_230601.jpg

Upvote 0
The explanation in the original post was fine but we can't really provide an answer unless you define phases like the above. Is "soon" a day, 3 days, a week, a year? See what I mean? and it is the same with "date is within the estimate".
Ah sorry, I get you now.

So I would like the rag status to be amber when it is within a week of the estimated completion date and the actual completion date hasn't been filled out. And then red when the actual completion date is filled out and surpasses the estimated completion date

Upvote 0
Maybe...
Book1
EFGHI
3Start dateWeeksEstimateActual RAG
416/01/2020520/02/202019/02/2020
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G4G4=E4+(F4*7)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
I4Expression=OR(AND(TODAY()>G4,H4=""),H4>G4)textYES
I4Expression=AND(H4="",TODAY()>G4-7,TODAY()<=G4)textYES
I4Expression=OR(AND(OR(H4="",H4<G4-7),TODAY()<G4),H4<=G4)textYES

Upvote 0
Thank you, this looks great. I'll give it a go on my spreadsheet and hopefully it works for what I need. Thank you so much for your help

Upvote 0
Maybe...
Book1
EFGHI
3Start dateWeeksEstimateActual RAG
416/01/2020520/02/202019/02/2020
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G4G4=E4+(F4*7)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
I4Expression=OR(AND(TODAY()>G4,H4=""),H4>G4)textYES
I4Expression=AND(H4="",TODAY()>G4-7,TODAY()<=G4)textYES
I4Expression=OR(AND(OR(H4="",H4<G4-7),TODAY()<G4),H4<=G4)textYES
Hi Mark858, so I've tried this and I've got the green working, but the red is on all the time, unless changing to green and the amber wont work at all. I don't know if I am doing the wrong selections when going on to conditional formatting, as I'm not sure what expression is.

Upvote 0
Works for me, see the attached. First of all format E4,G4 and H4 as dates as I have left them as numbers in case you are on a different date format to me.
E4 should show 18th Jan 2020 and I4 amber.
Change E4 to 16th Jan 2020 and it should be red.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back