Rank function variations.

GedSalter

Board Regular
Hi Guys.

I run a charity competition where the lowest score wins a prize. I have over 100 players who each are in 4 categories.

this used to take a long time to collate information. I have written a program using the RANK.EQ function. This works very well. My issue is out of the 4 categories there could be a situation where 1 person may top multiple categories. Our competition states only one person can win one prize. That way more people can win. I have racked my brain how I can automatically remove from the no 1 spot on the other categories and elevate the next lowest score from a different player to the number 1 spot. So the same player cannot be in no 1 spot in all 4 categories only in 1 categories.

I hope I have explained it sufficiently.

Thank you in advanced. Hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Can you give an example of how your current data is laid out

Upvote 0
Can you give an example of how your current data is lai

Can you give an example of how your current data is laid out
i have 5 columns. Column 1 is name columns 2 to 5 each have a score in it less than 100. each column 2 to 5 is a different competition. so if they win say column 2 they get relegated off top spot for the rest of the columns irrespective of score.

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also can you post some sample data.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back