Reading Data from Open CSV File

FLSteve

I'm working with an application that saves data to a CSV file on my local machine and would like to use the capabilities of excel for real-time data analysis. Ideally I'd be able to open the CSV file in excel and simply use the filter functions. The problem I'm having is how do I keep reading in rows of data as they are appended to the CSV file. I had some success with linking to the CSV using 'workbook connections', but refresh is limited to once per minute. I'd really like it faster than that. (once per 10 seconds) Any suggestions? I'm reasonably fluent in VBA.

On a side note, I tried creating a "linked table" in Access, that that failed stating the CSV file was exclusively opened.

any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi FLSteve - Have you tried just writing a simple macro that copies in all the data from the .csv file and then assigning that to a button? One click and all the data would be updated. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
el_gazar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back