Redistribute Values Formula Advice

ExcelRaceRatings

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am looking for advice with a mathematics formula. Say in Cells A1:A4 i have the below 4 percentage values:

A1 - 45%
A2 - 25%
A3 - 20%
A4 - 10%
Total - 100%

I am looking to set up a formula in cells B1:B4 that if i change one of those % values in A1:A4 that the changed value be redistributed among the the remaining 3 values?

Say in A1:A4 i change A3s value from 20% to 10% then i want that 10% to redistributed among the values in A1, A2 & A4.

Hope that makes sense and thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You won't be able to have formulas in A1:A4 to change their own values. If you want the new values still in A1:A4 you will have to use vba code.

However, some further guidance on what you want would be required. In the example below, if we change A2 from 9% to 0% do we ..
a) Add an extra 3% to each of the others as shown in B1:B4, or
b) Do we add the majority of that spare 9% to A1, like I have done in column C, since it had by far the largest value already, or
c) Do something else?

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
ABC
180%83%87%
29%0%0%
36%9%7%
45%8%6%
5100%100%100%
Sample

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

Evenly redistributing the values among the remaining as you have shown in Column B would my the path i would like to go down.

Upvote 0
Evenly redistributing the values among the remaining as you have shown in Column B would my the path i would like to go down.
Hmm, that could be problematic.
Take my column A example again and suppose we change the 5% to 50%. That is, we added 45% to that cell. With your request, that would mean subtracting 15% from each of the other three cells. That would make cells A2 and A3 negative. Is that what you want?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back