Remove adjacent duplicate numbers from String A and remove characters in the same position from String B.

alecambo

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have two strings of letters (columns String A and String B) and I want to transform them into strings like the ones in Solution 1 and Solution 2 correspondingly.

String AString BSolution ASolution B
7-6-1-3-4-2-2DDDDDTT
7-6-1-3-4-2
DDDDDT
3-3-0-2-0-0
DDTDTT
3-0-2-0DTDT
6-8-8-13-13-11-10-14-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDT6-8-13-11-10-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9
DDDDDDDDDDDDDT

In the case of String A, I need to remove any adjacent duplicate numbers (the numbers are separated by a "-"), so the string 6-8-8-13-13-11-10-14-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9 would turn into 6-8-13-11-10-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9.
String B is a little bit more complicated: both String A and String B have the same amount of items, and I want to transform String 2 depending on the transformation of String 1 into Solution 1. For example, in my data, I have 6-8-8-13-13-11-10-14-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9 as String 1 and DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDT as String 2. Solution 1 would be 6-8-13-11-10-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9 (remove adjacent duplicate numbers) and Solution 2 would be DDDDDDDDDDDDDT (remove characters that are in the same position as the numbers removed from String 1).

I hope this makes sense and I'm happy to provide any further clarification.

Best,
alecambo

See what happens with this one.

22 09 29.xlsm
ABCD
1String AString BSolution ASolution B
27-6-1-3-4-2-2DDDDDTT7-6-1-3-4-2DDDDDT
33-3-0-2-0-0DDTDTT3-0-2-0DTDT
46-8-8-13-13-11-10-14-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDT6-8-13-11-10-14-7-4-7-2-1-0-3-9DDDDDDDDDDDDDT
Remove Text
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C4C2=LET(n,LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","")),s,SEQUENCE(n),ss,SEQUENCE(n+1),ts,TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-",REPT(" ",100)),ss*100-99,100)),TEXTJOIN("-",1,INDEX(ts,1),IF(INDEX(ts,s+1)=INDEX(ts,s),"",INDEX(ts,s+1))))
D2:D4D2=LET(n,LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","")),s,SEQUENCE(n),ss,SEQUENCE(n+1),ts,TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-",REPT(" ",100)),ss*100-99,100)),CONCAT(LEFT(B2,1),IF(INDEX(ts,s+1)=INDEX(ts,s),"",MID(B2,s+1,1))))
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm still getting the same error message.

Best,
alecambo

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
VBA Code:
Sub test()

For i = 2 To Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row

bol = Split(Cells(i, 1).Value, "-")
        yeni = Mid(Cells(i, 2).Value, 1, 1)
        For ii = 1 To UBound(bol)
            If bol(ii - 1) = bol(ii) Then
                ekle = ""
                bol(ii) = ""
            Else
                ekle = Mid(Cells(i, 2).Value, ii + 1, 1)
            End If
            yeni = yeni & ekle
        Next ii
        Cells(i, 5).Value = Replace(WorksheetFunction.Trim(Join(bol, " ")), " ", "-")
        Cells(i, 6).Value = yeni

Next i
End Sub
Thanks for the reply. Your code works but it only collapses double characters (9-9 to 9) but it does not work for triple characters (9-9-9 to 9-9)

Upvote 0
I'm still getting the same error message.
Could you be using a regional Excel version that uses ; instead of , as the function argument separator?

What happens if you try each of these for the Solution A question?
Excel Formula:
=LET(ts;TEXTSPLIT(A2;"-");s;SEQUENCE(COLUMNS(ts)-1);TEXTJOIN("-";1;INDEX(ts;1);IF(INDEX(ts;s+1)=INDEX(ts;s);"";INDEX(ts;s+1))))
Excel Formula:
=LET(n;LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"-";""));s;SEQUENCE(n);ss;SEQUENCE(n+1);ts;TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"-";REPT(" ";100));ss*100-99;100));TEXTJOIN("-";1;INDEX(ts;1);IF(INDEX(ts;s+1)=INDEX(ts;s);"";INDEX(ts;s+1))))

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Pete, I think this is not the case - as @Fluff previous code here: Remove adjacent duplicate characters from String A and remove characters in the same position from String B. worked just find for him.
Yes, I had seen some of the OP's previous threads where that did not seem to be the issue. However, so far, the only way that I have been able to reproduce the particular error reported by the OP is to change commas to semicolons in my version so though the question was worth asking.

Upvote 0
Could you be using a regional Excel version that uses ; instead of , as the function argument separator?

What happens if you try each of these for the Solution A question?
Excel Formula:
=LET(ts;TEXTSPLIT(A2;"-");s;SEQUENCE(COLUMNS(ts)-1);TEXTJOIN("-";1;INDEX(ts;1);IF(INDEX(ts;s+1)=INDEX(ts;s);"";INDEX(ts;s+1))))
Excel Formula:
=LET(n;LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"-";""));s;SEQUENCE(n);ss;SEQUENCE(n+1);ts;TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2;"-";REPT(" ";100));ss*100-99;100));TEXTJOIN("-";1;INDEX(ts;1);IF(INDEX(ts;s+1)=INDEX(ts;s);"";INDEX(ts;s+1))))
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The first solution gives me a #NAME? error.
The second solution seems to work perfectly fine :)

I didn't miss the post right before veyselemre's VBA, I also tried it and got the "The first argument of LET must be a valid name" message.

Best,
alecambo

Upvote 0
Great news! So you should be able to use both the suggestions from post #9 if you swap all the commas for semicolons.

.. and you need to remember that swap for any future suggestions in the forum - that mostly will use commas.

Upvote 0
Great news! So you should be able to use both the suggestions from post #9 if you swap all the commas for semicolons.

.. and you need to remember that swap for any future suggestions in the forum - that mostly will use commas.

Upvote 0
... would be interested to know if Fluffs previous code is still working for you (on those items that do not have the "-" between them though ?

Rob

Upvote 0

Thanks! I've already marked the post as the solution ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back